angel fish sick?

saltwaternewby

Reefing newb
Ok im back again tonight. I had a question about my mom's tank and now I have one about mine. I have 1 clownfish, 1 yellow tang, yellowbelly damsel, 2 condi anemoie, 1 bubble tip anemoie a few snails and 3 blue leg hermit crabs. Tuesday I purchased a Coral beatuy angelfish. He died tonight. I dont know if he was sick or what. I tested the water salinity good, ammonia .25, Ph looks between 8.4-8.8 (cant really tell by the card) Nitate good and Nitrite good. I did a little bit of a water change and the readings on the test still didn't change. Could this little bit of a spike cause the fish to dye? I purchased him from a pet store I had never been to before so I dont know how long he had been there or how they take care of their fish.

Also my tang used to eat lettuce and now all he will eat is flake food that I feed the other fish. I have tried seaweed and more lettuce. he doesnt seem to be hungry I just dont quiet remember when he started doing it if it was before or after the new angel fish.

I am kinda getting frustrated with all this if anyone has any pointers please help me. Also is there a product that you can purchase that will lower Ph? I know that they have products to raise it. Also can I purchase something for the ammonia that can get rid of it quick till I can change some water?

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

I think you answered it yourself. Amonia at .25 Why didnt you wait until it was at 0? whats your nitrite exactly? Good on the test strips doenst mean much, since they all have diferent meaning of good lol.

when I purchased the fish the ammonia was at 0. The nitrate was at 0 and nitrite was at 0. and PH was at 8.4-8.8 I cant tell because the card colors aren't exact. I added a protien skimmer yesterday. I wonder if that can be it. O well I am not adding anymore fish till I get the water just right. thanks!

you have selected the best procedure. do not add any more until you can read a bit more and become more familiar with the water parameters. you said your pH was 8.4 - 8.8. if that reading is correct (which i doubt unless you are adding additives of some kind or your salinity is way too high) that is your immediate problem to discover why it is so high. you will need to know you salinity, correct ph, hardness, calcium, oxygen level, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. if you could get a sample tested and post the results would be helpful. sorry to hear about your loss. in the meantime read the helpful articles, on newbies, new setups, ph, water parameter and various articles on iodine to strotium. all will help you understand the basics of marine water parameters and how they interact. id be willing to bet if you took the time to browse through all the articles you will find your answer and then some there. you will at least come away with a much better understanding and awarness of marine system water parameter basics and hopefully understand why. so read, read, read, (skip the articles marked moderate to advanced) but read the others. let us know how you are doing and if any of it makes since to you. Do not get discouaged we all go through what you are experiancing. Just be patient and if it seems impossible its only because you do not understand it enough and need to seek out the information that will explain it to you. reading is a good start and posting here is a good follow up to the reading. we remain ready to help as best we can. good luck happy fishin.

Last edited:
Besides the above info the damsel you sounds like a fuji devil that usually are teritorriol(spelling) and aggressive.You may want to remove it.If like the colors of that damsel and once you tank is stable again look a cerub angel blue body yellow head.These fish usually get to be 2 inches or so.

Back