Angel Question--Hey Doc!

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Can someone explain the differences between the Pomacanthus angelfish and euxiphipops(blueface, blue girdled) and holacanthus(passer,clarion, queen, blue) and pygopoplits(regal angel). Any ideas would be cool with me. These are all considered "large" angels correct?

Those are the latin genus names for some types of angelfish. the ones in parenthesis are the common species name

IE Pomacathus Imperator is the latin name for an Emperor Angelfish
GENUS SPECIES

yes they are all large angels, but, what would you like to know? I could ramble on forever. Body shape is the main thing. Size is about the same. If you are looking for scientific stuff, forget it, I am not that guy. I know how to keep them.

Coloration is a big deal but almost all of the big angels start with a similar pattern as a juvenile, the deep electric blue and white bars. From there, they morph into awesome adult colors. They are extremely territorial and will not tolerate a single fish of the same genus unless the tank is damn big. You can mix the genus' though, so it is very possible to keep an emperor, regal, and majestic (blue girdled) angelfish.

Certain angels are way more aggressive than others, just like tangs. regardless of the mix of angels, French, Gray, Blue Ring, and Queen angels are very aggressive and will likely not tolerate other angelfish regardless of the tank size unless HUGE, like over 300 gallons (Alexander helped me learn that one). Other angelfish are quite passive and will tolerate each other easily: emperor, blue-faced, majestic, regal. But, they tend to be extremely expensive as well. I don't want to ramble on forever without you specifying exactly what you want to know. Let me know if there is a specific I can try to fumble through...lol

-Doc

Sounds like you hit the basics very well doc. Took the words right outta my mouth. And yes one of the very aggressive angels is definately the queen. And I really learned it the hard way, luckily I put an end to it before someone died.

Thats bascially what I was looking for. I figured it was more based on body shape than anything. Feel free to ramble though

Ramble.... me.....angelfish? No problem!!!

The holacanthus are noticed by the longer than tall body type and straight beak. They also tend to have twin lobes on top and bottom of the tail.

Pomacanthus have just one tail lobe that gets elongated on the top and their beak has an underbite.

Both get between 12-20 inches long and all eat clams. No big angel is safe with clams.... or pom pom xenia for that matter. It is like a magnet for eating.

All need extreme amounts of room to swim, the longer the better. Gallons don't matter. A 150 that is 4 x 4 x 2 is less suited to a big angelfish than a 125 that is 6 feet long.

All love sponge and do well with frozen food that is enhanced with sponge. They will eat cleaner shrimp if the shrimp are added after the fish are established or if they get hungry.

They can be kept with all corals with caution, the better fed, the less likely they are to nip at a coral til dead, but most people lack the NUTS to try. LOL

OK, I will end my ramblings... for now, unless someone has a specific question about husbandry?

Oh, one more thing: Some angels should never be kept because they just DIE!!!! :death: Rock Beauty angelfish are exclusive sponge eaters and will not survive nor will they accept any fare other than sponge. Regal angels are also weak eaters and quite shy and tend to starve to death. OK, now I am done...LOL

-Doc

Now comes the dilemma I really want clams or angels I know I cant keep both but they are so hard to decide upon because of eaches beauty. Maybe just a large school of green chromies...hmmm. I did like Chucks reef pic quite well.

That one is easy ryan,go with clams.Tangs,angels are nothing but poo poo machines.

Pic up a pair of picassos and call it day.The den has a pair of grade A's for the bargain price of $400.

I saw those Reef! At this rate I might be ready for fish by christmas. BOO! So maybe something like that could be a nice "family" christmas present.

Now comes the dilemma I really want clams or angels I know I cant keep both but they are so hard to decide upon because of eaches beauty. Maybe just a large school of green chromies...hmmm. I did like Chucks reef pic quite well.

that is a tough one. I guess it will depend of the scope of your tank. Yes angel fish are poop machines, no doubt about it. they are messy. Their beauty far outweighs any problem that can come with them. they are the most beautiful thing in the ocean.

Clams are cool too, but are a strict reef thing. If the 180 is a reef tank, with LPS and SPS corals etc, and you want to spend your money on coral, go with the clams, hands down. Hell you can have a rockin' gigas in a 180 that will fill the sucker and it would look awesome.

If you want to move up into the realm of risk and beauty combined, shoot for an angel tank with SPS and a few soft corals. I will be upgrading the lights at some point in my angel / shark tank to keep SPS corals. They are ignored by angelfish. You will be limited by about half of what you can keep in a standard reef, but the pay off with the fish is so worth it (my :twocents:). Sure tangs are cool and I have them, but..... an emperor? blue face? queen? wow, these are massive and perfect creatures!!! You can keep most soft corals without a problem. Mushrooms, ricordias, leathers, GSP, YSP, all are great with angelfish. Zoanthids will get eaten as will xenia. Load your reef with SPS and a toadstool, yuma rics, fuzzy, red and green striped shrooms, spaghetti leather and some star polyps and you will have a prize winning tank that the world with be jealous of. Good luck!

-Doc

Dominick, you know your tank is beautiful. I know your tank is beautiful. We both know my tank will be the most beautiful... :Cheers:

-Doc

Ryan, I agree with doc.... He's right on the money, I would be bummed if I saw a 180 go to waste with a school of chromis. Nut up with the big boys!

Clams are really risky. I have read and had personal experiences with clams that just up and die for no reason. Paying 60 bucks for it to just die is tough to take.

Back