Annoying Algae Problem

d2mini, do you have a protien skimmer? if yes what brand and model #? Have you ever heard of vodka/bacteria dosing? It works wonders!

If you have a big skimmer, this is what i'd do.
1. physical remove as much as possible
2. turn off lights for 3 days, this will kill alot of the stuff
3. change out your mechanical filter often during this time. it will catch free floating algae.
4. add/ change phosphate media and carbon
5. consider dosing vodka and bacteria. lmk if you need dosing help on this cause i dose it in my tank.
6. cut back and not add anything else to the tank for awhile other than water change and supplement ca,mg,alk

Missed this last post!
Yes, i have a skimmer. It's an Aqua C Urchin Pro. Have not tried vodka dosing but i have heard of it.

I tried pulling the algae off the rocks (getting worse, btw) but it's really stuck and hard to grab hold of.
I'll try turning off the lights again. I had recently introduced that fox face and wanted him to get acclimated.
I don't have a mechanical filter
Still dosing for mag, alk and ca.

AND, I just got a box from UPS with Marine SAT, Reef Bio Fuel and Aiptasia-X. :^:

Dennis,The Bio Fuel does exactly the same thing as vodka dosing.Its a carbon source that binds nitrates and phosphates in some kind of chemical reaction.I just know its worked good for me:D

Never heard of a vodka dosing. How do you do it?

It's pretty interesting, I've read a pretty good article on it the other day (can't remember what site :12:), but what made me disinterested was the fact that it was like a year process stepping up the doses and then slowly stepping them back down; it just sounded like a lot of work; I'm still dying do try one of those Algae Scrubber Set-Ups that Santa Monica posted. What I find funny about that article I read about the Vodka dosing is that the guy was using the cheapest Vodka he could find, which actually would be high in carbon due to its poor filtration :scratchch

Yeah, but if your not careful you'll get a lot of drunk ones sitting around on your sandbed wearing sombreros :mrgreen:

Ya, but if that's the case you just stop by home depot...I mean the LFS :shock: and pick up some more for $3 a piece...at the LFS :mrgreen:

And if you want to get rid of the lazy ones you just call INS...:shock: I mean some hermits, you know, INvertS :mrgreen:

What about the monkeys?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSm7BcQHWXk]YouTube - Alcoholic Vervet Monkeys! - Weird Nature - BBC animals[/ame]

I had a similar algae problem with slimy brown stringy algae. I turned my lights off for 48hrs (didn't hurt the corals) and installed a U.V. light filter. It went and hasn't come back.

I had a similar algae problem with slimy brown stringy algae. I turned my lights off for 48hrs (didn't hurt the corals) and installed a U.V. light filter. It went and hasn't come back.

wrong thread again? :mrgreen:

No, actually you were right, we just got WAY off topic on this thread back then :frustrat: :lol:

Back