Annoying bubbles

kevinsimons

Reefing newb
I figure this isn't a real problem - in fact, it may even indicate I have LOTS of disolved oxygen in the water - but that doesn't mean I like what happens: I get bubbles all over the front of my tank. Drives me nuts (but not as much as algae - that's another story... Hello Marine SAT)...

Anybody else out there have this problem - and if so, how do you deal with it?
It's really starting to bug me.

thanks!

Point a powerhead at the front glass. Blast the glass with water so that bubbles can't settle.

Sounds like a lack of proper circulation to me. Just guessing.

Something is respiring... Maybe in your sandbed? That would be my best guess, that the bubbles are coming from the sandbed and collecting on the glass.

it's more than likely nitrogen gas, the final stage of the nitrogen cycle. do you have an open top? or is it sealed tight? leaving an open, or partialy open top, with a powerhead near the top to ripple the water will let the gas escape.

I going to agree with Fish.
I've noticed that the better a tank can breath,the fewer the bubbles getting all over things.

The tank is 4 months old, i've got 2 dedicated powerheads (they do nothing but circulate the water), plus the powerhead that powers the skimmer, which provides a fair amount of circulation, plus a filter that also pumps a fair amount of water per hour (I'm thinking 150 GPH?)... there's a good ripple on the surface, and there's no cover (I lose about 1.5 gallons per week in evaporation). Both powerheads do aim pretty much at the center of the glass, and the concentration of bubbles is between the two output spots (appropriately enough).

Check all equipment for the source of the bubbles.If you rule out equipment as the problem then could it be algae/bacteria causing the bubbles to stick to the glass.Cyano and dinoflagellate causes air bubbles to get trapped.Besides that I wouldn't know what else it could be.

Here's a clue as to what's causing this problem - this AM I checked the tank before the lights came on and noticed no bubbles on the glass... I'm thinking it's the #*(&$# algae responding to the light (photosynthesis).

Back