Anonomoes?

Marklyall87

Reefing newb
Hi, I'm on my way to getting an anenomne & just wondered if there's anything I need to know / get..I know they eat frozen shrimp & prawns & I know it will make a home for my clowns but apart from this I don't know much else, any help would be great. Thanks. Mark

You should keep in mind that they need really established, mature systems to live in. I would wat until thing are up and running for about a year.

It's been running about 6 months & seems really well, I have a 250w light so that should be ok, I think il get one & keep a close eye on it.

While floating around looking for a favorable spot they can sting/kill other coral. They sometimes sting fish. Also, when they die they can release a toxin into the tank. And most importantly, its "anemones". :D

Last edited:
+1 Chris. Depending on what type you get, they may catch and eat your fish. They are very difficult animals to keep -- more difficult than most corals. And they tend to kill everything else in the tank when they get sick or die. Some will never host clowns. So ummmm... Good luck??? :D

Last edited:
My best advice on an anemone.Is hold off until your tank is more mature and you completely understand what it takes to keep them alive.

Well this is what I bought, I'm a little worried about what everyones said so I'm going to keep a look at it for the next week or so, hopefully it will be ok...

92dbef07.jpg

That's a sebae anemone. A very pretty one, too. They are one of the more difficult anemones to keep alive. Good luck with it, and don't forget to feed it.

Personally, I think there are more than a few corals that are just as good looking as anemones and won't crash your tank when they die. Clowns may also host corals just as well as anemones. Depends on your clown. Some clowns still prefer the powerhead or nothing at all to that nice anemone.

My tank is still far too young to get an anemone but honestly, I'm not even interested in introducing that kind of a threat to ANY tank, let alone an immature one, when a simple coral does just as well in aesthetics and practicality.

That's a nice looking Anemone Marklyall87. It should only have one mouth unless it's splitting into two anemones. Good luck with it.

Hi, I'm on my way to getting an anenomne & just wondered if there's anything I need to know / get..I know they eat frozen shrimp & prawns & I know it will make a home for my clowns but apart from this I don't know much else, any help would be great. Thanks. Mark[/QMIN
Mine moves around the tank and if it decides to sit on a coral it's likely to kill it, mine has

Back