Another 1st timer here.

dolphins8426

Reefing newb
Well I am very new to this hobbie and I seem to be off to a good start. I recenty set up a 55gl aquarium with a wet/dry sump pump, power heads and about 60lbs of live rock. I recenty placed 6 small damsel in my tank about a few weeks ago to cycle my tank and plan on returning them back to the store when I am done with the cycle period. Heres a picture of what it looks like so far. Let me know what you guys think? Be honest I can take it.

Sandeigo068.JPG

I think it looks really good. Has your tank done cycling yet? I'm not so sure that the damsels will survive. In the future, instead of using live fish to cycle a tank, it's a better idea to throw in a piece of shrimp from the grocery store and let it rot. The cycle tends to go much quicker, and you don't waste money on fish that will probably die.

What kind of tank are you planning on having? Fish only? Reef? What kind of lights do you have right now, and do you plan on keeping those lights?

Welcome to the site!

Looks good man, get rid of them DAMsels, they will only cause you probs in the future...Shrimp works great to cycle the tank...

First off,Welcome to the reef.
The tank looks great.But you will want to remove that air line from the power head in the left hand corner.It'll cause you problems with salt creep plus the micro-bubbles arent good for your fishes gills.
Those damsels will probably survive the cycle and leave you wishing they had died the first day.Their nearly impossible to catch in a tank thats stocked with rock.
Good luck with it,and post any questions you come up with along with any pics you want to share.

Welcome, nice looking start to your tank, and just so you know, you and many others here are making me very very jealous!! Welcome to LR I think you will find the advice good and the peeps very freindly, I know I sure have in the short time I have been here.

Welcome to Living Reefs,
People must like to go background-less these days.I agree with Yote,you don't need the powerhead to shoot bubbles.There will be plenty of gas exchange by just pointing the powerhead near the surface causing a rippling effect.

Welcome to Living Reefs,
Good look on the tank and it looks good. We look forward to hearing about your tank. Also as a fellow 1st timer here ask any questions you can think of. People around here will definantly help you out and answer your questions.

:frustrat: Is that what that tube is for...... HA. I could not figure it out for the longest time. Learn something new every day. The light I have was giving to me from a friend. I deffiently need to upgrade them but at the molment I don't really need anything to extreme. It is a 36" Coral Life light system with 2 65watts blue and white blubs 4 prong.
I was told not to use shrimp from the supermarket from the gentlemen at the saltwater store. He said it would cause some serious problems and just use damsel to cycle the tank. I am deffiently going to take those lil angry punks outa my tank after it has cycled.
So what should I be looking into for lighting for my system. I would like to have some corals and some fish. I have read a lot about HO T5 lighting systems. Here is a dumb question. Anyway I can take apart the current lighting fixture I have and make it a 48" ha. J/K What I am i looking at in price range for a new lighting fixture for a 48" tank for some corals and fish.....?

I could always pull out an M80 from last july 4th and just blow the suckers up. I have heard they are really hard to catch, but thats why they makefishing poles. Nothing like fishing in your living room for damsels right. :bounce:

I was also told not to clean any filters sump pumps powerheads etc.... So I am just sitting back and waiting for the cycle and trying to find the best lighting for my tank.. Any suggestions without breaking my bank..

I think the guy at your fish store gave you some bad advice. Using shrimp to cycle is probably the safest and fastest way to do so. You can get a good set of new T5s for a 48" tank for around $200.

I could always pull out an M80 from last july 4th and just blow the suckers up. I have heard they are really hard to catch, but thats why they makefishing poles. Nothing like fishing in your living room for damsels right. :bounce:

You've got to have some redneck in you.
You think to much like me:shock::mrgreen:

Hello and Welcome... I think you need to find a new FS if he told you not to used shrimp to cycle you tank... he is only out for the money and will always tell you things to make you buy more... Not what you need being a newbe... you must find a FISH STORE you can trust.. he will sell you bad fish and coarls just to get your money and say it's your falt they die ... You can always come here 1st... biff.reef.dr. will always point you in the right way...

Back