another algae problem

diver

Reefing newb
I see some familiar names still here. I have been gone but everything has been going fairly well tank wise. Except for this

I just read the previous algae thread. I don't know what bryopsis is, but I have a serious problem with green algae that looks like hair. I have pulled out good sized bowlfulls of this stuff, but it grows fast. It got a hold when I went on vacation in August and I have been battling it since. Does anyone have a remedy?
I had a small slime algae prob. in June, but a couple doses of Maracyn took care of it. The same thing didn't faze this stuff.

Algae is caused by excess nutrients, phosphate and nitrate in particular. Even if they are not testing high on your test kit, they may still be in excess because the algae is using it up as soon as it is produced in the water column. So none of it sticks around to be tested.

- Do aggressive water changes for the time being. Start doing 10 to 20% water changes once or twice a week until the growth slows down.
- Only use RODI water, not tap.
- Stop feeding flakes and pellets, use frozen food only.
- Buy some phosphate removal media like PhosBan or PhosGuard and run it.
- Cut back on the frequency and amount of feeding.
- Reduce your photoperiod.

Using bioballs, a canister fiter or a wet/dry system often leads to algae problems. You may want to think about removing those if you have them.

Also, do you have a big enough cleaner crew? Mexican turbo snails and emerald crabs are good for algae, and sea hares are excellent if you have enough of it to keep them fed.

Thanks for the ideas. I have been changing the water only 10-15% a month, as when I test it it has been OK. (Phos <= 0.1) I always have Phos gaurd in the filter(large RENA cannister.) I live in an old farmhouse and the AQ is in the living room, there is no room for a refugium type setup at this point). Also all the critters have seemed happy & healthy. I have a number of soft corals and they have done very well. I use Nano Reef A + B regular, occaisional calcium additions to keep level 400-450. I don't have access to RO water, we have shallow wells and are surrounded by corn & soybean fields- I'm sure that helps the water quality:)
I will begin changing water weekly.
Would feeding every other day be OK?
I feed about 75% frozen now.
Any advice on how long to keep lights on?
I do have bioballs in the cannister......I thought they were supposed to help.:frustrat:

Also, some one said to try alot of blue legged crabs. Any thoughts?

If you are using well water your phosphates will be pretty high. The reason that they are testing low is because the algae is consuming them. Changing water will not help unless you use ro water. One other thing with all the chemicals they put in those fields and a shallow well, I think I would get a ro/di unit for my drinking water.

Yeah, we don't drink the stuff. Maybe I will put some phosphate eater in the holding can for the water changes.

You might think about using either distilled water,or some wal-marts and grocery store have RO machines where you can fill you own jugs for a few cents a gallon.
That'd be safer than well water.

I have the same algae problem and yesterday when I was doing a water change I found little pieces of junk in the water. I bought the 2.5 gla. jugs of Carib Sea sea water from Pet Smart. I mistakenly thought the sea water was R\O with salt added, but it says clearly on the label from the sea as in the Ft, Pierce area beach water i assume. I think I will be using my R\O unit again and quit being lazy. Not trying to slam Carib Sea but one should not see little floating things in the water.
My current tank is only a 14 BioCube so I didnt think it was worth all the trouble of mixing my own water. I should have done a water test on the stuff and see what showed up. I didn't notice the particles until I GFO reactorut almost the whole 2.5 gal in the tank. I am trying to get away without a skimmer a little longer and the people at nanocustoms are suppose to be coming out with a new skimmer that fits in the back comaprtment where the bio balls went.
I agree with Bifferwine about the cleaner crew, Im a big believer in having them in full force. Along with cutting back on feeding the fish. Also keep the mechanical filters cleaned regularly, this will go along way in removing excess nutrients.

If you don't have RO water you should at least carbon filter your well water. Carbon will take out many things but not phosphates.

Back