Another coral dying?

BL1

So, I posted a couple of days ago and it turned out my hammer coral had brown jelly disease. Well, the same day I pulled that out my waving hand coral started shriveling and looking bad. 3-4 days later it has completely disintegrated, you can't even tell it was ever on the rock.

On to today, I'm doing my daily check, looking around both my tanks to make sure everyone and everything is happy. Well, I have a rock with three hairy mushrooms on it, normally they open up huge, and look great. Today, I look in and I see one looking small and not good. The other two seem to be ok but, I'm worried about what may be going on in my tank, and I'm not sure what to do.
Here's a pic
DSCN0820.jpg

DSCN0818.jpg

Also, the area in the middle where it looks shriveled, is normally where it's mouth is, it almost looks like its inside-out to me

Man Brian,that sucks..I am very new to keeping corals so i'm probably not much help,but hope you can figure it out soon...
edit: Plus the thing that worries me is ,aren't these supposed to be some of the more hardy corals?I am looking into getting a couple hairy's soon

Last edited:
Your water params still spot on? maybe try an iodine or fresh RO dip...maybe move them to your other tank and see if they still are like that.

should have posted
Amm - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10 (haven't done my weekly water change yet)
Sal - 1.025
temp - 79.2

I'm a little nervous about moving them because if something is affecting my corals I don't want to move that over to my other tank and start having corals there die too

should have posted
Amm - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10 (haven't done my weekly water change yet)
Sal - 1.025
temp - 79.2

I'm a little nervous about moving them because if something is affecting my corals I don't want to move that over to my other tank and start having corals there die too

That would be my worry also....but again like i said ,it seems the more hardier corals are taking the hit...IDK what could be going on..I just read also,that mushrooms almost seem to do better with a trace of nitrate...not sure about how creditable it is ,i saw it on another forum where a guy was conducting his own tests on them..He did say they grew faster and stayed brighter in the tank with some trates

Yeah,i tell you what...a lot of people think its a gimmick,but since i put a rod in my tank,i notice a change in how my fish act....glad i got one...so i guess it could help the corals too

Yeah,i tell you what...a lot of people think its a gimmick,but since i put a rod in my tank,i notice a change in how my fish act....glad i got one...so i guess it could help the corals too

Usually it's the corals and inverts that are affected by it first.

No that should be enough to do that to your corals... Weird. What kind of lights again?

I'm gonna assume you meant shouldn't be enough. I'm running the 14,000k 150w MH that came in the hood, it has the stock bulb which is about 6 months old at the point

Yeah sorry. I meant shouldn't.

I really don't have a clue. Everything seems to check out. Any chance you can test of phosphates? The test kits aren't always accurate, but maybe if it does show up you'll have your answer. Phosphates can cause death in corals at pretty low levels.

That hairy mushroom looks like it is trying to split. Mine looked like that for a few weeks and it actually ended up splitting into 5 or 6 new ones. They are still on the small side, but keep the water parameters good and you should have a few new mushrooms

Yeah sorry. I meant shouldn't.

I really don't have a clue. Everything seems to check out. Any chance you can test of phosphates? The test kits aren't always accurate, but maybe if it does show up you'll have your answer. Phosphates can cause death in corals at pretty low levels.
Phosphates came out at 1.0, should I be worried? Anything I need to do besides water changes to get rid of it?

That hairy mushroom looks like it is trying to split. Mine looked like that for a few weeks and it actually ended up splitting into 5 or 6 new ones. They are still on the small side, but keep the water parameters good and you should have a few new mushrooms
That would be awesome if it is splitting. How long did yours take to totally split?

that is very high for corals. You could get some GFO to run in a filter sock to reduce phosphates

Mine took a few weeks before the smaller pieces started inflating againg.

+1 Bj on the phosphates and the splitting.
Something else to check is the calibration on your refractometer.Ifs its not been calibrated in a while,then you could be getting false results on salinity,which could cause problems too.

+1 Bj on the phosphates and the splitting.
Something else to check is the calibration on your refractometer.Ifs its not been calibrated in a while,then you could be getting false results on salinity,which could cause problems too.

I actually check the calibration everyday, it seems to be off every other day or so.

That phosphate is extremely high. My question is...where is it coming from? What are you feeding and how often? Is RO/DI water being used?

Have you tested alk? Do you add ANY supplements?

What are you calibrating the refractometer with?

Back