another dumb ?

bullitt21

Reefing newb
how do you know if your skimmer is working right?i just got my pump and i hooked the skimmer up.there was no directions in the box so i have no clue.the skimmer is a coralife 220.

It will often take a new skimmer a week or two to break in, so don't expect it to start working right out of the box. The air and water should mix, producing a foam that slowly rises up to the collection cup. The foam will gradually spill over the sides. Eventually, it should start producing a brown foam, which will accumulate in the collection cup.

There is no such thing as a "DUMB QUESTION".

I don't know anything about that skimmer so I think BIFF's responce would be the best answer right now. Maybe someone here has one and can help out??

Those are decent skimmers for the price.I've run there 65 and currently running the 125.
Just make sure the pump is no more 4" under the water surface,and touch the adjustments unless you can kill 3 or 4 hours watching it.The adjustments are extremely touchy and will casue a flood if your not careful.

i have noticed they are touchy.i have it wide open .i was going to keep it there for a couple days and then mess with it a little.pump is 2 1/2 to 3 under the water.thanks

I have the cl220 and IMO it is by far the best skimmer in the price range. AS long as you have good micro bubble production in the reaction chamber it should only be a matter of time before it starts producing. Follow the directions to the letter for the break in period which for me only last a day or two.

It is also the only hang on skimmer I have had that after break in does not put tons of micro bubbles into the tank (hang on install) or stop produceing when you top off or feed.

There should be a hole in the collection cup already to add a line that can be directed to a bucket in case of overflow. This will only occur if airline is blocked or back pressure is put on the outlet. I have also had no problems with adjustments with mine. It can dry skim or wet.

With any new skimmer, I adjust it very low for the breakin period. When it start to produce skimmate start adding more air slowly.

Back