another hitchhiker

NewbReefer

Reefing newb
I pulled this guy from my tank this morning after doing a little research on predator starfish. he was crawling on the back glass of the aquarium. my parents are actually gonna go buy a small 10g tank to put him in :roll: but i cant complain, there buying me a quarantine tank :scratchch....:whoopee!:

starfish.jpg

yeah i knew i would eventually need a quarantine tank, it is a neat little starfish, to bad there known to nibble on corals :grumble:

Its an Asterina Starfish.Beneficial in my opinion,feeding on detritus,they only nipple on corals that are dead or dieing.

They nipple Freak? Do they really? I mean, come on, the "b" key is nowhere even near the "p" key ;). LOL you must really have a one track mind...

Some species have been known to eat healthy corals though. In my opinion, it's better safe than sorry with those guys, and I would have taken it out of my tank too.

Last edited:
Opps!I mean nibble....heck you know what I mean.:mrgreen:

I have asternias and haven't observe them NIBBLING any corals.I been checking other forums and websites like the one I posted,they eat dead/dieing corals.I think people see them on there corals and assume the worst.For now,I leaving mine in as part of my cleanup crew.If at any time they start to overpopulate I'll grab them out with a needle/syringe.

I'd say just keep an eye on the lil feller.If it started eatting corals,then go star fishing,if he dont,then a cool member of your clean up crew.50/50 chance he wont bother anything.

I've got him in a quarantine tank now. If it reproduces i'll maybe put some in the tank and keep an eye on em. kinda be cool if i bread a few of em i think. it looks like from what others have said on other forums and sites that there is alot of controversy as to wether there reef safe or not.

Back