Another Newbie

Roger95

Reefing newb
Hey everyone. I'm Roger. 35 yrs old. Been keeping freshwater for a long time now. I do not currently have a set-up. I've always wanted to get into saltwater and now is the time. I really do not want to get into anything big right off. Kinda want to test the waters first :lol:. I have a 29 gallon tall that was set a few years ago. Could I use this as a fish only tank to get started. Do I use the same filter? If all goes well I have a custom 300 gallon corner unit that I'll move on to. Can't wait to get started. Thanks in advance.

Hey Roger. :wave: Welcome! Wow! A 300 gallon is going to male a lot of us have tank envy. As far as your 29 gallon's filter, what do you have?

Wow I'm glad you asked. I just looked at it and realized its cracked. Gonna have to get a new one. Any recomendations? Now am I correct that I don't need a protien skimmer unless I decide to put coral in?

yea, if your gonna do salt you should do a protine skimmer, even for fish only, its maybe not as critical as with corals, but your still gonna need someway to get thoes waste products out of the water.

as for the 29 vs the 300, if you want my opinion, i would start with the 300, much more stable, much more forgiving to mistakes, and i think that after you get over the inital setup, i think it would make a much better starter tank than the 29.

now, as for that 29, sounds like that might just be a good sump... just a thought. not to mention that it makes the math pretty simple, exchange the water in the sump at least once every 6 min or more maybe as often as every 3 min), and you have your flow rate...

Last edited:
yea, if your gonna do salt you should do a protine skimmer, even for fish only, its maybe not as critical as with corals, but your still gonna need someway to get thoes waste products out of the water.

as for the 29 vs the 300, if you want my opinion, i would start with the 300, much more stable, much more forgiving to mistakes, and i think that after you get over the inital setup, i think it would make a much better starter tank than the 29.

now, as for that 29, sounds like that might just be a good sump... just a thought. not to mention that it makes the math pretty simple, exchange the water in the sump at least once every 6 min or more maybe as often as every 3 min), and you have your flow rate...

Thanks. The only problem is $$$$. I really can't swing to set up the 300 right now. Any recomendations as to what filter and skimmer I should look at? Or are they all about the same?

well as for filter, um, none, i'd run a sump and a fuge and a skimmer... no "filter" per-say

i totally understand the $$ thing, i've had my tank for 6 months now, and i still dont have a decent skimmer... i've got one, and it works when it wants to (which is not most of the time) but when it does, i get good crud out of it.. so....

I've allways heard octopus, and then just size to fit your system. I've got my eyes and heart set on a 110 for my tank, 75gal DT plus 30gal sump plus 20gal fuge, understanding that the sump is only gonna be half full and the fuge about the same, so thats really right at 100 gal of total system volume, (not subtracting rock and stuff)

I've had 4 different people tell me thats the one for my system, and as far as i can prove, none of thoes 4 people have ever spoken to one another...

Roger, take my advice and go and buy some saltwater books first. I made the FW/SW jump in April and it has been an eye opening experience. It is completely different. I look at my 125g freshwater that is stable with envy now when I am doing frequent water changes on the SW tank trying to tackle my newest algae growth. I love my SW tank but it is a lot of work and you need to know what to expect. Read as much as you can.
No filters for saltwater tanks. I have an Eheim that I clean and run for 12 hours after my water changes because I stir up so much gunk in the tank and then I turn it off. They are nitrate traps which lead to algae growths. It was very hard for me to accept that and make it a habit. You can go with a sump or fuge. I bought a large HOB fuge and love it. I grow macro algae and pods in it.
Read, read and read some more :)

Welcome to the site and the hobby!!!!!!

yea, good advice, i mean being on here and reading...

seriously, i just recently read through the salt water aquariums for dummies book, and while some of the informatin is a little dated, its still good information for the most part....

i'm reading Fenner, the conscientious marine aquarist right now, and its a little dated too, but helps reinforce the information in my brain...

Welcome to the site Roger.
A lot of folks recommend Octopus skimmers.The skimmer and live rock,is actually all the filtration you need on a saltwater tank.

yea, good advice, i mean being on here and reading...

seriously, i just recently read through the salt water aquariums for dummies book, and while some of the informatin is a little dated, its still good information for the most part....

i'm reading Fenner, the conscientious marine aquarist right now, and its a little dated too, but helps reinforce the information in my brain...

Unlikely. ( :mrgreen: )

Hi and welcome! As others have said, you should probably avoid any type of "filter" when it comes to saltwater tanks. They actually tend to lead to water quality problems. You should aim for 1 to 2 lbs of rock per gallon of your tank size. Live rock coupled with a protein skimmer will be all the filtration you need.

A 29 gallon tank is a good tank size to start off with. Keep in mind, you will be limited to 3 or 4 small fish, and a lot of the charismatic saltwater fish are just too big for a 29 gallon tank, so you will have to choose your fish carefully.

Unlikely. ( :mrgreen: )
well plaid sir.

one really nice thing about a smaller tank is that the live rock costs less than it does with a bigger tank

Roger: do you know yet, or have you thought about exactly what you would like to try and keep in your tank? i mean i know you said fish only, but, anything specific that you are looking at? Its better to think about this stuff now and have a plan, that way you can make sure to set up the right stuff, and the right environment, and stuff, it'll keep you on the right path... Know what i mean?

Well thanks everyone. I guess I'm off to the book store. I see there is more to know than I thought. No problem I know it will be worth it. Thanks again.

All I can say is take your TIME and don't get so excited that you cant wait and you just have to have it especially with sps coral .Let me tell you it will cost you lots of money if you do.A book is a good way to start you will learn lot from books .And don't always take the advance of you lfs lots of time they will sell you stuff you don't need Ive seen it a million times.I would have saved thousand of dollars if I would have new this in the beginning.Good luck enjoy the hobby it will bring you lots of smiles if you take you time.Always do your research.:twocents:

Back