another newby

true_pisces

I have had my tank now for almost a year and no fish or corals yet... got short on money and it started growing some red algae. I started thinking uh oh what now... well did some research on the net and talked to one of the guys at the store where I had baught everything. Then I thought I would try to find people online to talk to about everything.. so here I am, Its a new learning experience. Any advice is always welcome...

Your in the right place.:D Welcome aboard.
Before we can help with the red slime.We need to know a little about your tank and how its set up.

Hello and welcome to the site! We can help with the algae problem, but Yote is right. We need to know:

the size of your tank
they type of filtration you use (sump, refugium, bio wheels, canister filters, etc)
what your current water parameters are (temp, salinity, nitrate, ammonia, nitrite, phosphate, etc)
you water situation, as in, do you use tap water or RO/DI water
the type of sand you have (crushed coral, sand, none, etc)
and the animals that might be in your tank at the moment (fish, crabs, snails, etc)

That information will give us a good head start in figuring out your problem. Thanks!

Hi there, and welcome to the site. Lot's of friendly people with alot of knowledge to share. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

I have a 30 gal tank with canister filter i believe, with sand and live rock, no livestock yet i didnt think my tank was ready yet. I got crabs and hermits a few days after everything settled but they died a few weeks later. I also use salt water from the fish store that is supposed to be perfect. I am sure that my problem is the crabs that died i didnt pull the left over bodies out of the tank and i didnt realise that when you top off your supposed to use RO water cuz the salt stays in the tank, which I just learned all this today by a little more research on this site. so more tips would be greatly apreciated
Thanks to all.

just the canister that hangs on the back of the tank pours water back into the tank, thats the only movement, but how bad is it for the water to sit with out movement if there is nothing in there except rock and sand? The way that the water gets poured into it make pretty good movement.

The more flow you have, the less algae problems you'll have. Algae has a hard time attaching to the rocks if it's being blasted with water.

The bioballs don't really work very well for saltwater. In fact, they tend to encourage nuisance algae growth. The bioballs provide surface area for bacteria to colonize. Basically the same thing that live rock does. Except live rock also provides anaerobic areas where the bacteria that remove nitrate live. Bioballs don't have any anaerobic areas, so the nitrates tend to rise and rise when you use bioballs.

Back