Another Transfer Q

reefkeeper55

Reefing newb
Met a guy tonite at my local Pet Smart that saw me buying salt and asked me if I was interested in buying any salt water stock, corals, and equipment. The only problem is he said someone threw something in his reef tank about 3 months ago and he doesn't know what, and has lost a few of his corals and some of the mushrooms have a burnt look and have curled up on the ends. He also has a bunch of coraline encrusted rock that he wants to sell. He says he thinks the guy may have thrown something like an alka seltzer or something similar into his tank. My question once again is there any chance of transfer this to my tank? If whatever was used has permeated the rock could that not also be transferred? I believe there is, and by not knowing what was purposefully thrown in his tank this makes it even worse. I would not want any of the items even for "free" if I thought it could in any way impact my tank. I have way too much invested as we all do to try and save a few bucks on something that may be harmful to my reef. I just wanted to see what my fellow tankmates here thought .....thanks:helm2:

Why take the chance?

1. he doesn't know what went in the tank...that means neither do you.
2. It killed some of his corals and damaged his mushrooms (which are hardy).

Stay away from it..Not worth the risk.

I think it's pretty risky! There's a good chance that whatever it was, it got into the rocks, and you could transfer that to your tank if you put the rocks in it.

Back