Another Wish List!

Banana Man

Reefing newb
Hi,

I'm just a couple of days into cycling my new 400L (105 Gallon) tank. My main focus is on Corals so i want to keep a light enough bioload. Here is what i would like to put in the tank:

- 2 x Common Clowns
- 1 x Six Line Wrasse
- 1 x Copperband Butterfly
- 1 x Powder Blue Tang
- 2 x Mandarin's (after 6 months to a year)

Does anyone see any problems with this lineup? I am thinking about putting in the 2 Clowns and then the Butterfly as i hear Butterflies are fairly timid and can be hard to get settled in.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would leave the clowns towards the end as they will bully anything you add after they become established. Otherwise seems like a good list, you will need to find/train mandarins to eat frozen unless you add pods frequently.

I would add the tang, then wrasse, clowns and then theandarins at some point. Be watchful, though, as everything else will be established and can be aggressive. And FYI, corals don't add to your bipload so you can have as many as you like and add as many at a time. Just make sure your conditions are right for the types you want.

Once again, i know there are discussions on "bioload." Corals as themselves are not a bioload, but everyone feeds their corals here and there. The food is the bioload.

A Six line wrasse can be a dick, so be careful with your selection. They will bully anything its size or smaller that is introduced.

Research ora mandarin, wise decision imho.

Powder Blue Tangs are pretty aggressive too....don't be surprised by that one....my Powder Brown was originally named Zen but I had to change his name to Rampage Jackson....

I dunno. ..I tossed Rampage Jackson in and he promptly schooled the 2 clowns who lived alone in the tank for 2 months. ..

His original name was Zen but he was anything but zen. A friend who is into bellator saw me reference the fish being the bellator fighter of the tank. He suggested the name and it stuck.

I believe if they are from different families it will be ok. Like maybe a bristletooth tang. Different family. My sixline was the only fish in my 60 for a while, he is the sweetest fish ever and he is huge now. Has never harassed a fish, he ignored each new addition. You just never know what fish will be like, they can have different personalities.

Generally speaking a Blue Hippo, Powder Blue or a Powder Brown tang is not considered safe with any other tang. I have Rampage Jackson and would NEVER put another tang in there.

Sixlines are mean. But some have a mellow personality. I can't answer any more than that, though, as I'm not familiar with the latter.

If you want more than one wrasse, I'd skip both the six-line and mystery wrasses. Both can be on the aggressive side towards other fish and that aggression is almost always worse towards other wrasses. Also, I'm not sure if you're planning on any inverts like shrimp but they'd become a snack for either of those wrasses.

Supposedly the pink-streaked wrasse is pretty mellow and stays 2 1/2", I believe. That's what I'm getting for mine when my LFS can get one.

I had a Sixline before in my 80L and he was a great addition. It was always busy poking around my rocks. Sounds like 2 together might be an issue though.

Ammonia is on the way down so I reckon another week or two before I start adding fish!

Back