Any advice on books?

Spookius Mortem

Reefing newb
Hello all, I am new to the hobby and to these forums. I have not yet set up an aquarium and am in the early stages of research (Internet, books, local aquarium store). I have picked up a couple books so far; The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner, and Aquarium Corals by Eric H. Borneman.

Can anyone recommend a book that is an exhaustive encyclopaedia of sorts on marine fishes that can be kept in an aquarium (with pics)? I'd like to find a book that is specific to that topic and skips setting up an aquarium.

The reason I ask is I have found loads of information out there on the Internet and in books about fishes; almost too much, and just not in one or few places. I've started keeping a spreadsheet to track the ones I am interested in because there's too much info out there (and some of that info is conflicting :-() to keep straight in my head and it unfortunately seems scattered all over the Internet. I'd even be interested in a good web site that has a nice list as well.

Now, ditto all this for corrals :D

Or if anyone is willing to direct me to some really good resources in general, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all!

Since the hobby changes so fast, I always go with the internet. But the Rob Fenner book is definitely a must. As for fish, I like to use liveaquaria.com 's database as a guide, then should I need more info, I like to seek extra advise from people w/ experience (like here in livingreefs). Books can get so outdated really fast as people learn new things.

Back