any coin experts?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by bjohanson1234, Feb 12, 2012.

1. bjohanson1234

bjohanson1234 .........

As some of you may remember, my mother in law's aunt had a stroke and got in a car accident on Thanksgiving. She has been in a nursing home ever since, and doesn't look promising that she will ever be out of one again. One of her nephews is her legal gaurdian and has been cleaning her place out in preperation of possibly having to liquify some of her assets. He found a box full of about 60 silver dollars and old silver dimes. Does anyone know of a good pricing forum to check the value? I do know that even the least collectable a still around 25 to 30 each for the dollars. We just don't want to get taken if we need to sell.

bjohanson1234, Feb 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. bjohanson1234

jcegt87 Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!

i would suggest to talk to a numismatics(coin collector) in your area, some are actually decent people and will tell you what the coin is worth,and also what they will offer, grade( condition) is HUGE , year is also a factor you say silver dollars but what kind ? a peace dollar or morgan dollar or a mix of both?key dates and also where the coin was minted is also a factor , if you see a with the mint mark of CC(carson city) or O( New Orleans) those fetch more money even in not so good condition
    coins have grades of 1-70 where 70 is perfect of perfect ( probably less than 1% of brand new coins fit this description) a few grades can be the difference between a 100$ coin and a 10$ coin

if you dont have key dates then they offer spot ( i sold mine a while back at 32$ each) just watch the silver market, also DO NOT EVER sell to a pawn shop , thats just asking for trouble , some dont even wanna pay spot

a far as the dimes and other small coin for the most part they will pay spot( price of silver) +10% unless its a key date

sry im rambling just multitasking

PS if you think you have a gem (after doing some reaserch) there are profecional grading services that will grade your coin ANACS and PCGS come to mind, if you get a coin graded and those guys did it no one will argue with you about the grade, they do charge and its not cheap but , a coin with a certified grade of 30 mat be more valuable than the same coin in perfect condition NOT graded

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    jcegt87, Feb 12, 2012
    bjohanson1234 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. bjohanson1234

bjohanson1234 .........

Thank jc. I know from watching pawn stars not to take it to a shop. Will definantly pass this info on to the nephew. I know one of them is an 1884 uncirculated CC. It is in a case with a letter of authenticity. Most are from the 1920 but they range from 1880s thru the 1930s. I just want to get some info so it will be easier to tell if the guy is full of it.

4. bjohanson1234

jcegt87 Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!

O.O dude if he has uncirculated CC , he may have a nice treasure , but without grading he wont get the real value out of em (hell get something that hell see appealing but not its true value), some may be key years , so yeah just tell em to find a respectable numismatic, with reviews online a respectable , honest business owner shouldn't be to hard to find

jcegt87, Feb 12, 2012
    bjohanson1234 likes this.
  5. bjohanson1234

bjohanson1234 .........

Thanks again. I was looking at the CC, it does look a bit banged up from when it was in the bags being transported, but it does have the letter saying it is uncirculated.

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question