Any computer/network folks out there?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Cottonwood, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Lets move to Basketball..

My sister just came home from School. Her laptop will connect to the wireless network at my parents house, but it says that the internet is not working. And says to reset the router or gives some other similar options like that. However the PC and my Dads laptop connect just fine and the internet works just fine. I'm on my Dads right now...my sisters is sitting next to me...it has full bars for connection to the network, but says it wont connect to the internet. Any ideas on how I can fix it? Seems to be some setting with her laptop perhaps? (hp with windows vista)

Cottonwood, Dec 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Cottonwood

dcantucson

You should be able to open "join the selected network" and enter the network password. Sorry I'm not much help with a PC since I'm totally a Mac person. Maybe someone will answer soon. Good luck.

dcantucson, Dec 26, 2010
    Cottonwood likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Cottonwood

Bifferwine I am a girl

I'm no expert either, but if I were you, I'd unplug the router for 30 seconds, then plug it back in. See if that helps. Whenever I'm having internet problems, doing that usually fixes it. :dunno:

Bifferwine, Dec 26, 2010
    Cottonwood likes this.
  4. Cottonwood

Zissou What about my dynamite? VIP Member

Make sure the button on the side of her laptop for wifi is in the on position.

And you can reset the router too. There should be a small pinhole button to push, or you can just unplug it for thirty seconds as Biff said.

Zissou, Dec 26, 2010
    Cottonwood likes this.
  5. Cottonwood

Pwny

if you right click the wireless icon on the bottom right hot bar there should be a option for "nat type" try open or wep some have it listed diffrent if this dosent work try diffrent options on the list but it will need to be the same as whatever the router is setup to be, w/o knowing that i cant tell you what one you need. hope this helps but sounds like this is your problem.

Pwny, Dec 26, 2010
    Cottonwood likes this.
  6. Cottonwood

BL1 ............. Moderator

Is your parent's router set up with DHCP? My home network isn't but, when I go to my parents house I need to change my network settings to accept DHCP.

BL1, Dec 26, 2010
    Cottonwood likes this.
  7. Cottonwood

sen5241b

I'll bet its the network key for wireless.

sen5241b, Dec 26, 2010
    Cottonwood likes this.
  8. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Lets move to Basketball..

We tried turning off the router and turning it back on and got nothing. I'm not over there now but I'll check the nat type and the settings on her laptop. So weird because her laptop worked before, but since she came back its not. Some setting must have been changed.

Cottonwood, Dec 26, 2010
  9. Cottonwood

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

+1. Sen.

PRC, Dec 26, 2010
  10. Cottonwood

dcantucson

Maybe there was a software update that didn't get done on her laptop.

dcantucson, Dec 26, 2010
  11. Cottonwood

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

Odds are she took the laptop somewhere..logged into the interenet. When she logged in wirelessly, she picked the same option that she had at your house. (Home, Workplace, Public Location).

For example, if she had your home set up as home, and then logged in somewhere else and chose it as home also, the computer erased the 1st home..She'll have to go in and put in the Password or WEP Key....

Down in the bottom right hand corner of her computer where it shows her wireless connection, if you click it, it only says LOCAL...she doesn't have priveleges to get onto the internet until she puts in the password. You can possibly circumvent the issue by plugging the computer directly into the router with a CAT5 cable...Once the router and computer recognize each other the problem will be solved.

PRC, Dec 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question