Any conrete proof scrubbers work?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by bobby, Oct 31, 2012.

1. bobby

bobby I like to do bad things.

I have been searching this alot, and it seems everyone who starts one never fallows up on their progress. Inland aquatics uses a turf scrubber on a dump system, and say that coupled with a DSB allows them to do a 5% water change a year.

I still would want to do water changes to add trace elements, however, I also like the idea of not doing so many changes to fight trates and algae.

So is there anyone out there that uses one with good results over a long period of time, and pics too please!?

bobby, Oct 31, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. bobby

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

I haven't done one, but I've seen many posts of people not really doing a followup, but just talking about it with other reefers who are fighting nitrates...they've all said that their nitrates remain at 0 after adding it.

wontonflip, Oct 31, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. bobby

But I keep thinking when I read that if their tanks where already at 0 trates how do they know it's working? I just want one to keep my trates at 0 which I've never been able to do even with 10 to 20 % weekly.

I still would do water changes, I just want the trates already at 0 no ha lol

bobby, Oct 31, 2012
  4. bobby

LOL reminds me when my brother and I were little, he bought my uncle a deer whistle to attach to his car (he lives in NJ where it's deer country). The point was that it scares deer away so they don't dart in front of your car. He never hit a deer.....is that because they just never happened to come in front of his car, or did the deer whistle actually work? :mrgreen:

It might just be one of those things that you'll have to try out. If it brings your nitrates down, take it offline for a while (while doing the same maintenance)...and if it goes up, then you know your answer :D

wontonflip, Oct 31, 2012
  5. bobby

True! lol I was just hoping to see good results with pics to give me some insperation.

I bought a 46 gl bowfront at a steal, but it was very neglected. If this does indeed help I will incoperate one in my tank to help so I'm not doing 10 + gal changes weekly to just keep up.

bobby, Oct 31, 2012
  6. bobby

I mean to me it does make perfect sense. When people have a large amount of algea and 0 phos or trates everyone contributes it to all the algae consuming it before it can be tested.

Inland aquatics is a huge place with about 35000 gallons of salt water. All their tanks are ran by dump type turf scrubbers, and deep sand beds, plus the tanks they set up and maintain for customers. The owner said by using this system they ony have to do 5% water changes annually. I have seen their tanks at the store and they're all very healthy, algae free and beautiful!

bobby, Oct 31, 2012
  7. bobby

Also do the dump style turf scrubbers work better than a waterfall type algae srubber? I know the algaes that grow are different.

bobby, Oct 31, 2012
  8. bobby

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I can't help ya on the scrubber. But it's DAMN good to see you posting Bobby.
    How the hell you been?

yote, Oct 31, 2012
  9. bobby

Been pretty good. Just working everyday, and working on a job offer I got in Montana so might be moving there soon if all works out.

How have you been? Still doing HVAC?

bobby, Oct 31, 2012
  10. bobby

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I been doin alright.
    I'm outta HVAC. Since I messed up my shoulder. Right now I'm back in school. Taking classes for networking and computer forensics.

yote, Oct 31, 2012
  11. bobby

Going back to school is good. Aot of good job in networking. Don't know anything about forensics, but it sure sounds cool. lol

bobby, Oct 31, 2012
  12. bobby

Poor bobby.....still no answer :D Maybe you should PM SantaMonica? I'm sure he could provide proof/help. He's really really good about responding.

wontonflip, Oct 31, 2012
  13. bobby

little_fish Moderator

I ran an algae scrubber for over a year, and i didnt really have a readable nitrate problem, but I did have issues with algae. After hocking the algae scrubber up, my algae problems did go away and I didnt have to as frequent of water changes. But the scubber did become a problem because it was huge mess and was always spraying water everywhere, which resulted in salinity issue and general aggravation. Also, because of how mine was put together, it was really annoying to clean every week. So if you want to go algae scrubber route, be really careful in how you design it. SantaMonica has posted several new designs, and im sure they all work as well but are better suited to deal with the messiness associated with running the traditional stye.

little_fish, Oct 31, 2012
  14. bobby

Zissou What about my dynamite? VIP Member

Santa Monica now promotes a scrubber that goes inside your sump or tank, mounted with magnets. The immediate benefit is that you can mount it anywhere it'll fit, without having to use a bucket/box and a bunch of lights. Since it's underwater, you don't have to worry about water spray. Has everything you need except the air pump.

I have one running in my sump right now and it's much more convenient. To clean you simply disconnect the air pump hose, and pull out the screen side of the unit and clean. No unplugging lights or fiddling with any pvc or hoses in the way.

That being said, I've been a complete lazy ass and haven't done any tests. Tank is completely free of algae though. You may have to get more than one depending on how much you feed.

Hang-On-Glass (HOG) Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS) - 0.5 Cubes feeding per day - MAGNET VERSION

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    Zissou, Oct 31, 2012
    baeya likes this.
  15. bobby

baeya Aquarium Addict

I've added the link to "my favorites" in case I ever need it! Thanks!

baeya, Nov 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question