Any corals that the clowns may be more susceptible to host???

Sxybeemr325

Reefing newb
Here I am qagain with my 1001 questions.

i think I may go to my lsf this week end and tempt my chance with a coral. I have read in a previous thread that clowns may host a coral. Biff, Bobby, jhnb and a bunch of you gave me some good beginner corals... I am wondering if any of there corals would be more susceptible for my clowns(2 x occelaris clowns) to host it???? :question: :question:

Also, I finally got my tang to eat the dry sea weed. Everyday, i clip 2 strips (about 5 inches long/per strip) and one inch wide x 2. I fold it and clip it. My tang eats it in maybe 2-3 hours. How do I know if this is enogh? Should he always have dry seaweed to eat day long? if so, ill have to do a night shift to go and clip dry seaweed during the night cause everytime i clip it, it is gone 2-3 hours later....So how do i know if this is enogh? Also, my tang won t come out at feeding time. he just hides behind my rocks at feeding time. Should he eat anything else other then the dry seaweed? (as he won t come out at feeding time, it is practically impossible for me to feed him frozen food or flakes..........:question: :question:

:bowdown: :sfish: :mrgreen:

as for your corals clowns are hit and miss you cant tell what they will host next for your tang I have seen them fed different variety of foods it just takes time introducing them to it.

But there is no coral that they may host? maybe something that have somewhat the look of an anemone? With long tentacules? I don tknow.......

I have read and seen them hosr xenia and hairy mushrooms. Yote's clown host his xenia, and mine has used it a couple of times at night, but not always. You can try both the hairy being the easier to keep coral, however, clowns dont always host somthing. Sometimes you buy anemones or corals and they wont host at all, its just a chance you can take. Good luck.

My Maroons use Frogspawn at first,but settled for mushroom colony since it was near the bottom.I have read somewhere that Elegant coral makes good clownfish host since they resemble anemones.

My avatar has a Maroon inside the mushroom colony(a larger pic inside my photo gallery)
I don't know about other clowns,but it seems like maroons accept any coral almost.

Last edited:
I have a bubble, and a frog spawn and my clowns seem to have hosted the corner of the tank. Go Figure!?!?!?! They are healthy and they do swim around but when they get frightened or at night, they are in the corner

It just seems that they will host what they want to host

Brian

Total newbie question. Is the coral the host, or is the clown fish the host? I would think the coral would be considered the host<?>.

One safe bet is to buy the clown and host coral together - find a pair that has already bonded and you have a pretty good chance for the same thing in your tank!

Adrastos,
I already have my 2 lowns in my tank. Ive had them for over 1 month now.... I guess we will find out........

I was supposed to go to my lfs yesterday night and check for the urchin + corals, and i ended up going to a bar... Will try and go today and will keep you all posted on it!!

Thank you for everyone's help!!!!!!!

reeffreak said:
The coral is the host

It seems people talk like the clown is the host most of the time. I hear it at my LFS a lot too. Which leads me to ask... If a coral hosts, what does a fish do? Nest?

Last edited:
basically that is correct - they nest in the anemone.

Clowns act as a cleaner fish for the anemone - mainly eating the bits of food left behind.

Its called Symbiosis. (Symbiosis, a word that literally means "living together," is used by scientist to desribe the relationship between unrelated species of animals that live in close association). The anemone plays host to the clown.
ref: Anemone fishes and their host sea anemones by Daphne Fautin & Gerald Allen.

I was tought symbiosis is where both species benefit from each other.
Parasitic - only the parasite benefits and usually kills or is negative to the host
There is another word where only one of the two species benefits but the other it doesn't matter if its there or not, i think its commensalism.

What I didn't learn while obtaining my biochemistry degree is the species that gives home to another species is the host. What is the thing that occupies it called? In parasitism it a parasite, not sure what it is in the other 2 forms.

Actually both species benefit from the pairing. The Clown helps keep the anemone clean while the anemone gives the clownfish a safe hiding spot. Clowns are bad swimmers and therefore make for an easy prey. The stinging anemone helps keep predators from making a quick snack out of the clown.

There isn't a specific name for the non-host (i.e. clown). And interractions among organisms are classified into six categories: Symbiosis (aka mutualism, + +), commensalism (+ 0), parasitism (+ -), amensalism (- 0), neutralism (0 0), and competition (- -). Amenalism relationships are extremely rare. I can't thing of an example of one... Unless you start talking about human relationships :D.

Biffer must be happy -she finally gets to show some of that education she has on here :)

That is why she is President :bowdown:

Ive had my tomatos host (or vis versu) powerheads,and xenia until they melted. It seemed like they would like to try my torch but its not working for them hehe..I would say try anything that expands like the natural host and hope for the best.Usaully its not a good thing in my tank becase its bothersome to the coral more than anything just my opinion tho..

Last edited:
Back