Any ideas on this one?

Dantitan

Reefing newb
Cable 057.JPG

I know that there is an apstasia in the pic. I'll take care of him later. :helm2:
The things that I need IDed are the little things that look sort of like feather duster, polyp type things. they are kinda small but they are definately visable in this pic.

I have had them on the rock for about 7 or 8 months. They haven't seemed to have done anything like spread like wildfire or anything like that. Should I do something about them or just leave them be for now since they don't seem to be bothering anything?

take the rock out asap, and nuke it. otherwise they will spread and become a big problem. if you shine them with a led flashlight, and they glow green when the tank lights are off, theyre indeed hydroids and are a pain to deal with if you dont get em under control now.

take the rock out completely and A. boil it (outdoors cause it stinks and some fumes off liverock can be toxic especially ones with zoanthids) B. take bleach (not sure how to bleach live rock so someone else may be able to help with that) C. take the rock out and leave it outside in contact with sunlight for a good month or so

people have also used super glue with these to kill em off but i think removing the rock all together is your best bet... i think tweezers will agitate them and make them spread more.

boil it and leave it out for a week, youll have to cure it in like a bucket or somthing. it wouldnt be good to add it into the tank without curing

take the rock out completely and A. boil it (outdoors cause it stinks and some fumes off liverock can be toxic especially ones with zoanthids) B. take bleach (not sure how to bleach live rock so someone else may be able to help with that) C. take the rock out and leave it outside in contact with sunlight for a good month or so

people have also used super glue with these to kill em off but i think removing the rock all together is your best bet... i think tweezers will agitate them and make them spread more.

Ok. I will take option B. Can someone tell me exactly how to this.

Is my only other option to leave it outside for a month. I cant boil it outside. I live in city limits and cant build a fire.

do you have a grill? maby you could put a pot outside with the rock in it and boil water on a stove and continually add boiling water to keep it hot?

do you have a grill? maby you could put a pot outside with the rock in it and boil water on a stove and continually add boiling water to keep it hot?
I do have a grill, but I really don't want to boil something like that on my grill if it can give off toxic fumes and such. That is a good idea about just adding already boiled water to it though. That may be the route that I go with.

That is a good idea about just adding already boiled water to it though. That may be the route that I go with.

DONT INHALE THE FUMES!!!!
Some guy nearly died from standing over the boiling water, so just watch out! :D

Hahaha accidently thanked you too! :roll:
Since im giving them out.... anyone else want one?? ;)

If there arent that many......id super glue them....or kalk paste ive heard works,,,if theres alot. Id just take the rock out and put it outside in the sun. I wouldnt boil it. To risky IMO. If theres a paly or zoa on there and u breath those fumes......yea thats a no no and could get real sick.

Back