Any Quilters out there?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Picasso, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Picasso

Picasso Seahorse Whisperer

I'm doing a quilt project and could use some advice. If anyone quilts, I would love to hear from you!

C

Picasso, Nov 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Picasso

Bifferwine I am a girl

My mom is a quilter. But I have no knowledge or skills in that area. Sorry. :(

Bifferwine, Nov 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Picasso

motorcyclereefer I am Graffiti Petey

I don't either and at first I thought you were asking for any quitters. I would have tried to help out there! :)

motorcyclereefer, Nov 17, 2010
  4. Picasso

Isn't that skill genetic?

C

Picasso, Nov 17, 2010
  5. Picasso

tankedchemist

I've quilted before, but it's been a while. what's the project?

tankedchemist, Nov 18, 2010
  6. Picasso

Thanks, Amanda! I think I'll need to find a local granny because I'm truly fabric impaired. Hopefully you can talk me through it.

Ok, over the years I've saved trinkets of my daughter's favorite fabric. Scraps from her favorite blanket, jeans, comforters, t shirt from her elementary school... that kind of thing. The thought was that when she moved out, I would make all of these things into a nice memory quilt. I think I've got the idea of piecing together the bits into a top but I'm kind of lost with the putting the top together with the back. I really don't want to buy a quilting frame. Also, the kid lives her life freezing so I was hoping to use down in-between the layers. Is that possible? I was thinking this would be a Christmas present but now, I'm hopeful I'll have it done for a graduation present.

If you have any ideas or can point me towards some resources for this I would very much appreciate it!

C

Picasso, Nov 18, 2010
  7. Picasso

tankedchemist

is very possible. I did a quilt like that when I was 12 or so, so I'm sure you can manage it! What size are you aiming to make?

The easiest way to make it is to piece together the top part, as you say. The inside would be easier to do if you made it with batting... you buy it in sheets of differing thickness and material composition, and sizes, at any fabric store. Then you'll need to pick a fabric to back the blanket with. You make a giant sandwich of these (pinned together), then go around folding the edges. in brief, you fold the edges over twice, appx 1/4-1/2" each fold, and pin...Then you stitch that down to create a nice edge. I generally do the two long edges of the blanket first, then go back and do the shorter ones. The corners can be somewhat trickey, but I can probably do a little "how to" video or something once you're a that point. Then, you get these giant needles, and go back with regular yarn, and make little ties to keep the batting from moving around. Voila, quilt.

The hard part is getting all the pieces for the top squared up properly.

tankedchemist, Nov 19, 2010
  8. Picasso

KarenJax Certified Master Stylist

That's probably one of the crafts I've never tried. I paint, do pottery ( wheel and hand build), and pyrography, but the sewing crafts give me the heebies. Shoot, I hate making bows to put on client dogs!!!! Good luck though. It sounds like a wonderful gift idea for your daughter! Hope you post pics!

KarenJax, Nov 19, 2010
  9. Picasso

dcantucson

What a wonderful idea and neat thing to do. Catherine you rock!

dcantucson, Nov 19, 2010
  10. Picasso

motorcyclereefer I am Graffiti Petey

motorcyclereefer, Nov 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question