Any runners out there?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Picasso, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Picasso

Picasso Seahorse Whisperer

I'm thinking about ordering these:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Vibram-Five-Fingers-Womens-KSO/dp/B002EJ2H92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1266622057&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Vibram Five Fingers Women's KSO: Shoes[/ame]

Hopeful that they will help my plantar faciitis and maybe I can get back to my running. Anyone have a pair? Or, has anyone been able to beat this awful foot problem?

Here's their site:
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/index.cfm

Thanks,
    catherine

Picasso, Feb 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

Odd looking design. Im by no means a runner but I would think it would be dificult to get used to them.

bjohanson1234, Feb 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Picasso

kennedy98

this kid in my school has those but hes a guy:l

kennedy98, Feb 19, 2010
  4. Picasso

kennedy98

now i am wandering if he knows those are womans shoes

kennedy98, Feb 19, 2010
  5. Picasso

Kennedy, lol, they make guy ones too!

These shoes are supposed to strengthen your muscles and help you overcome things like high arches and plantar faciitis (a painful problem with the muscles in the bottom of your foot)

I'm a barefoot, jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, I think they look groovy? I'll have to wait to get Dennis' opinion since he's my official cool-meter :)

C

Picasso, Feb 19, 2010
  6. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

Yeah Dennis is like Mikey from the Life comercials:mrgreen:

7. Picasso

tankedchemist

I'm a runner, but I haven't ever tried those... I'll stick with my normal ol reeboks... those might take some getting used to! Although you can return them if you don't like them, I'd assume.

tankedchemist, Feb 19, 2010
  8. Picasso

kennedy98

hahaha ok that reasures my nerves

kennedy98, Feb 19, 2010
  9. Picasso

bjohanson1234 .........

10. Picasso

tanked, have you heard of that book that was written about the tribe in Mexico (?) and the African tribal guys where they run the marathons in thin sandal like shoes? They say these peoples don't have the running injuries and the foot problems we have in "civilized" countries. I guess I'll give it a try and if it doesn't pass Dennis' "cool" test, I'll wear them at home :)

C

Picasso, Feb 20, 2010
  11. Picasso

Smitty

+ 1 Tanked...I'm a professional runner also, but I've always ran in my trusty reeboks. Sometimes the shoes aren't the problem, it could be the running technique, or what you're running on(asphalt,grass, concrete,etc)

Smitty, Feb 20, 2010
  12. Picasso

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Just looking at those,They would drive me crazy.I cant stand ANYTHING between my toes.:shock:

yote, Feb 20, 2010
  13. Picasso

Bifferwine I am a girl

NDB sells those in his stores. They are VERY popular among hikers and climbers. Here in Tucson I see people wearing them all the time!

Bifferwine, Feb 20, 2010
  14. Picasso

tankedchemist

Yeah Smitty might be on to something. I've always had ankle problems, and had to go to physical therapy for years to learn to walk/run without twisting my ankle every other step. Is that a possibility catherine?

tankedchemist, Feb 20, 2010
  15. Picasso

I don't know, lots of people on their facebook page talk about it being the "end" of plantar faciitis. Dr Oz had them on his show but I didn't see what he said about it. I live in a tiny town and the nearest pair to me is about 2 hours away. My injury happened about a month after I had my daughter because I still had that hormone in me that spreads your joints out. She's 17 years old now. I've had a cast, PT, ultra sound, cortizone shots, ibuprophen therapy and so much more. At this point I'm thinking I need to find one of those voodoo women to hex the pain outta my foot. I still do the things I want to do and I would like to do them pain free!!!

C

Picasso, Feb 20, 2010
  16. Picasso

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Hehehe....they look funny....I'd buy them because they look funny :) I have socks that have toes....takes some getting used to.

wontonflip, Feb 20, 2010
  17. Picasso

Ted Living one day at a time

I agree with smitty, these guys are running on dirt. Ever run barefoot on the beach? For some reason I could just keep going and going. Now I dont run at all. When I was in the army got stress fractures in both shins from running on paved hills. If you see me running there is one bad a$$ dude chasing me because I will try to fight him first.

Ted, Feb 20, 2010
  18. Picasso

RyanG ^*Eternal Dumbass*^

Catherine do you have a GoodFeet Store, Fleetfeet or another dedicated running store in your area? If you do you should really check them out. I have a TON of foot and ankle problems from the way my feet are in relation to my lower legs. I have ligament tendon and cartilage deterioration/tearing. I have tendonitits and plantar fascitis and also have abnormally high arches. A properly fitted pair of shoes make all the difference in the world if I can walk or not the day after going running.

RyanG, Feb 20, 2010
  19. Picasso

dcantucson

Catherine you should look into these: MBT Shoes

Introduction to MBT Shoes - Footwear etc.

Where Did They Come Up with the Idea?

When the designers were first coming up with the idea of MBT shoes, they looked to East African runners. Noticing that they trained barefoot for races, even marathons, the researchers began to wonder if their lack of injuries and pain was due to this lack of footwear. By watching how the foot hit the ground, they began to see that the rolling motion of the foot engaged the rest of the muscles of the body, stabilizing it and protecting it from harm. But since the researchers realized the people weren't about to run barefoot on the pavements of their cities, designing a shoe became the top priority.

dcantucson, Feb 20, 2010
  20. Picasso

Thanks for the suggestion, David. Those MBT's get a lot of positive reviews. So, I went on Youtube to see what kind of fan base each type of shoe has. This is the typical MBT youtube fan commercial:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OScdcTZY_qc&NR=1&feature=fvwp]YouTube - Test It Tuesday: MBT Shoes[/ame]

And, this is the typical Vibram Five Finger fan commercial:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N6h7qXQWyM]YouTube - Vibram 5 Finger Shoes- "I really like my shoes."[/ame]

Which one should I get???? ;)

C

Picasso, Feb 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question