Any thoughts on Deep Blue Lighting?

DAvis

Reefer Madness
Hey all,

I've been debating on what to do on lighting for my 65 gallon. I currently have an underachieving 2 x 39W T5 Nova Extreme, but I was looking at this Deep Blue 36" fixture my LFS carries (ABCReefs.com in Syracuse). They carry higher end stuff, but I like what this package has to offer! So, for the 36" fixture:

4 x 39W (bulbs included)
6 x 1W moonlight LED's
cooling fan
Integrated timer
single cord
hanging and mounting legs
1 year warranty
$235 from my store

It actually comes with bulbs too, but I would replace with Geissman's and save the stock bulbs for emergency. I've heard good and bad, but the overall package is great. Guys at my store said that the company has no problem honoring the warranty. I just bring back to store and he gives me a new one, they deal with the company. He had one or two with a timer issue in the last year. I know I can get it cheaper online, but I like my guys, plus if there is a problem, except for Mondays, I can get a replacement anytime! :D

So any thoughts on these?

That is a nice unit but it's only about 2 1/2 watts per gallon. If you are going to invest in a new lighting system, I would shoot for more watts per gallon

Thanks Mike,
Can't really go 'watts/gallon now as the different bulbs emit different amounts of light intensity. The intensity of the t5 is different than a CF or metal halides. Look at the LED's, an array of 36 bulbs is only 36 watts! But, they are very high intensity. PAR is the acronym of the day, short for 'photosynthetically active radiation'. This will be sufficient for what I want to do, LPS, mushrooms, zoa's and such. If I wanted to grow SPS, they would have to be placed high up. I may be able to borrow a meter to check light intensity through the tank. I'm gonna spend the big bucks on the next tank upgrade! Just don't tell my wife that yet! :D

The intensity of the t5 is different than a CF or metal halides. Look at the LED's, an array of 36 bulbs is only 36 watts! But, they are very high intensity.

Yes, but these aren't LEDs you're looking at, they are T5s. I agree with Reefrookie, and I know from experience of trying out various levels of T5 lighting on my own tanks, I don't think that's enough light for a tank that size. For T5s, you still want to aim for at least 4 watts per gallon, more if the light doesn't have individual reflectors.

Oh, I know they don't compare to LED's. I'm not too worried about the light intensity. I'm not planning on SPS and my corals (except the zoas currently) seem to be thriving under the 2 bulb fixture. I would still have the Nova Extreme 2 x 39w that I could add back if I needed more light.

Mostly I was asking if anyone was polar, one way or another on these particular fixtures. But.... I will check for myself that they indeed do have individual reflectors. I was told that but have to see for myself!
Thanks Sarah.
:Cheers:

Back