any thoughts

when i went to buy my 55gal the pet store owner was trying to talk me into a 29gal but i told him i wouldnt be happy with it for long turns out its the same case with the 55gal i want bigger would like to get a 300 gal tank some day lol

when i went to buy my 55gal the pet store owner was trying to talk me into a 29gal but i told him i wouldnt be happy with it for long turns out its the same case with the 55gal i want bigger would like to get a 300 gal tank some day lol
yeah one day i mite buy the ocean! know wot u mean but at moment am happy with my 10 gal to be honest gonna wait til my kids have grown up and moved out mortgage paid mite have more money then lol i t takes me ages to get a new coral.

i know the feeling my tank is a year and a half old and i only have 7 corals in my tank was hoping to really start getting more untill i lost all my fish so corals are on hold till i get more fish but i want a better light was going to go with LEDs but im leaning towards metal halides with t5-ho

I would look around. I had an Odyssea and the LED's burnt out pretty quick. Look at the ReefBreeders value fixture, I love mine so far.

i know the feeling my tank is a year and a half old and i only have 7 corals in my tank was hoping to really start getting more untill i lost all my fish so corals are on hold till i get more fish but i want a better light was going to go with LEDs but im leaning towards metal halides with t5-ho
ok emmett gotta go now hope u get light situation sorted soon bye for now

its not an led it metal helides with t5-ho and right now i have an odyssea 4 bulb t5-ho with timer. i had to replace the moonlights but everything is great i have had it for about a year

Yes, I meant the moonlights. If you don't want all LED's, try finding something with individual reflectors. I think a 6-bulb T5HO would be great over a 55.

electricity use is not that much difference and i run no hood do the top of my is wide open and i can always add a fan if needed. all things i know and dont play a factor i want what is is going to give my corals the light and give them the best growth

There is nothing wrong with t5 and halide combo fixtures they are a proven way to keep coral healthy. The down side of them is as you know electricity usage, heat, and bulb replacement.

Yes, they can grow well, but like I said, they're expensive to maintain. Bulbs need changed every 4-6 months, they use lots of electricity and produce a lot of heat. I have talked to several people that had to run a chiller during the day withhalides even with open tops because they produce so much heat.

I, personally, would go with a 6-bulb T5HO with individual reflectors if you don't want to use LED's. It's definitely your choice, and all three methods are proven to grow corals very well, but there are more cons to halides and T5 than LED's in my opinion, especially since a big one against LED is startup cost, but there are models out there now, like the ReefBreeders I just bought, for under $200/each so the price difference isn't as big anymore.

yes and then i have to find a way to get them on my tank they do not make the as bright as the metal halides and in some cases cuz shading in the tank as far as t5s and mh they both have bulb cost witch is about 20 bucks per bulb amd as far as heat get a little dimmer bulb and i know dennis has gone back to MH on his tank and you can see a big difference in the FTS of his tank the only thing i see is a little less color pop

Like I said, pros and cons to each and its a personal decision. I'm just telling you mine and why. But I would shop around for a differentbrand, I've heard some bad things about Odyssa.

Back