Anybody else feeling the stress???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Ryan, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan

Why is it that Christmas brings on more stress to families???? :frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

Ryan, Dec 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Ryan

RyanG ^*Eternal Dumbass*^

Bah Humbug! The holidays stress me out so much its not even funny! The most enjoyable thing that I have done is the Secret Santa for a realative stranger, kids are just ungrateful these days. When I was a kid we didnt have much at all and I was really happy to get a pair of jeans and some new socks for Christmas now you give a kid the world and they ask why they didnt get the moon to go with it!

RyanG, Dec 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Ryan

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Stress over presents? Nah...I flat out told everyone I'm only buying gifts for my kids and my nephew. None for adults. Luckily my kids learned from day 1 to NOT expect gifts, but rather to appreciate the ones they DO get, even simple ones. Not to say they don't say they want toys, but they don't throw a fit or get depressed if I tell them no. Shoot...I'll flat out tell my kids "Sorry kid. No money". Ain't no shame in telling a kid you have no money to buy them that $100 toy!

I did splurge in a new bedset for my son (wall-e), but he needed a new set, and my other 2 kids got books. THey have a room full of toys they don't play with. They play with boxes more LOL

wontonflip, Dec 18, 2008
  4. Ryan

Altohombre The Tennis Pro Reefer

building forts was one of my fav things to do!

Altohombre, Dec 18, 2008
  5. Ryan

Damn skippy! The kids now take the blankets in the living room and build forts. you'd think they had no other toys!

OH and one of the stocking stuffer items are new toothbrushes :mrgreen: At least I got them character toothbrushes LOL

wontonflip, Dec 18, 2008
  6. Ryan

Rcpilot

Bah Humbug!!

I HATE Christmas. Always have. It's corporate crap designed to stuff the pockets of the rich before the year is over.

My kids are just as ungrateful. Bought them both bicycles last year and they were fighting over a stupid cardboard box before the day was even over. I took both bikes outside and tossed them in the trash. Breaks my heart. My wife and I try so hard to raise good and respectful kids. We try and show them the value of a dollar and how to save money. They're still spoiled. Not by my doing, either. It's a battle to keep my wife from buying them the damn moon.

I am just like RyanG. I was in tears over a new pair of shoes and some new socks for Christmas when I was a kid. The year my mom bought me a $60 set of Legos I about had a mental breakdown. It was the first time in my life I actually got a TOY instead of some new socks or a flannel shirt.

Buy my kids a pair of new shoes and they'll look at you and ask, "Is this all?" :frustrat:

The whole thing just makes me rotten inside. I'm a miserable scrooge until after new years.

Rcpilot, Dec 18, 2008
  7. Ryan

I dont have a problem giving my kids the things that I couldnt have when I was a kid, I actually really enjoy it. I dont stress over gifts so much as I just really dont like the holidays now that my family is spread out over the country. Family and close friends are what the holidays are supposed to be about they have just gotten way way to commecialzed.

RyanG, Dec 18, 2008
  8. Ryan

My daughter's at that age where commercials attract her attention (she's 7, and keeps asking why we're not using "oxyclean" LOL). When they're around, they're only allowed to watch noggin, since they have no commercials. But they still catch glimpses when we watch our shows.

I agree with Ryan, you want to give your kids what you did have growing up. I think I've given my kids a lot of stuff I didn't have, but wanted...but I definitely also tell them I didn't have this growing up and they're lucky to have it, and that sometimes, i can't give them the world, especially this day and age. At least when they do get it, it's extra special, like your legos. Kinda like make up -- i don't wear makeup often, and when I do, people go WOW!...on the other hand, my other friends who wear makeup all the time, if one day they don't wear any, it's like "WTF happened to you??" LOL

Ok. I've had too much chocolate. I'm gonna shut up now :)

wontonflip, Dec 18, 2008
  9. Ryan

cthegame

Im not fond of christmas. It doesnt make me feel cosy. I dont feel the holiday spirit. I hate the music they play in stores. I hate that money is a factor and if i could be the grinch that stole christmas, i totally would!

cthegame, Dec 18, 2008
  10. Ryan

+1 million to the Game! I always(even when I was a kid) wanted the Grinch to actually steal Christmas! No more wah hoo dory wah hoo dory for me. Just leave the Roast beast! You can have the bamboozles and whatsits! That is my second favorite Christmas movie right behind its a wonderful life( I really like the feel good holiday movies though!)

RyanG, Dec 18, 2008
  11. Ryan

JAG107

This year I spent more on presents for the family (ok, and myself), but I am sorta a humbug myself. Maybe it was all the socks I got as a kid, and I don't have any kids yet, I just can't see why it's necessary to buy $100 gifts for in-laws and such when thats pretty much what you'll get in return. I was juoking with my wife about how this year the family should all pass around $50 gift cards to each other, since it's all come down to a competition as to who can spend the closest amount to what is expected to receive from the recipient. OK done ranting sorry

JAG107, Dec 18, 2008
  12. Ryan

simpleman

+1 Jag. I said don't get anything for us(wife and I) Just feed me!:mrgreen: oops uh I mean us.

simpleman, Dec 18, 2008
  13. Ryan

flojo

Lol I personally really like Christmas but the gift portion drives me nuts. That's why I have always liked thanksgiving more....its not so complicated and not as corporate. You just hang with ur family and eat. I love to give gifts but I wish it was one cheap gift and the recipient would appreciate it. Its like you have to do a certain amount or they're not happy. Not just kids but adults too. I only have 3 kids I buy for and they show a hell of a lot more appreciation for my $15 gift than any adult I have met. I think we all have a little grinch but I am one where the good outweighs the bad this time of year.

flojo, Dec 18, 2008
  14. Ryan

Altohombre The Tennis Pro Reefer

I like Christmas a lot. I have no brothers or sisters or even cousins for that matter so it was always just me with the adults. I usually got pretty good gifts and would just play with Legos the whole time.

Altohombre, Dec 18, 2008
  15. Ryan

....the last time my cousins, brothers, and I exchanged gifts, we ended up getting each other Best Buy gift cards! Yeah...no more gift exchanges between us :)

wontonflip, Dec 18, 2008
  16. Ryan

Bifferwine I am a girl

It's not a big deal to me. NDB and I didn't put up a tree, didn't decorate, aren't going to eat anything special. I sent gifts to my family back east, but it's pretty much just another day for me. I suppose that will change if/when kids come along.

Bifferwine, Dec 18, 2008
  17. Ryan

HeavyHittah LivingReefs is like home

I myself feel weird when it comes to Christmas time. I love the songs and the decorations but when it comes to presents i really dont know how to feel. I know I only got presents when i was in my younger years (2-10 or so) and now im almost 23, so I dont really expect anything for Christmas just out of habit. My family never had, you know that extra money where they could afford to get me something extra. And i always tell my girlfriend not to get me anything, because im just used to that and when she does get me something i dont really know how to respond to it. Its like i've been programmed for so long to not get anything that when i do i dont know how to function, if that makes sense LOL. I know last year for my Birthday (my birthday is in feb, not too long after christmas) my mother bought me this amazing Dell Laptop (using it now) and i was so taken back by it that i broke down. Me getting gifts for anything is not often. so I said all of this to say, I wish people would cherish their relationships with people as much as they cherish the expectations of recieving a gift. Because its the people that make each Holiday such a joyous occasion, not the gifts.

HeavyHittah, Dec 18, 2008
  18. Ryan

flojo

I completely agree. I'm the same way. I get all weird opening gifts. But I love to give! Haha! I just love being with the ones I love!

flojo, Dec 18, 2008
  19. Ryan

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I love to watch my 3 kids on Christmas morning.For me,Thats whats its all about.But there'll only be one gift for each kid.But thats all it takes.But I did splurge this year.My 18 year old is getting a weatherby vanguard in 300WinMag,my 9 year old is getting a 45cal muzzle loader,and 4 year old daughters getting a big doll house.Me and the wife never get each other anything.
    But like a lot of y'all,I can remember some tough Christmases.The first year I actually got a toy,it was a Lone Ranger cap pistol set with the badge and Lone Ranger mask.Let me tell y'all,I was in high cotton that year and still remember it.I was 6 at that time.

yote, Dec 18, 2008
  20. Ryan

daugherty part time reefer

my kids all only getting one main gift from us then some stocking stuffers.

daugherty, Dec 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question