Anybody have experience with a Blue Spiny Lobster?

Big K

Reefing newb
As the title says...

The wife and I went to Knoxville for a family Christmas and checked out a few of the LFSs in that area. At one we saw a blue spiny lobster that was beautiful!

We checked them out on Live Aquaria and it said "reef safe with caution". The store employees said they were fine with everything.

Any help?

Do you really want to spend the cash on something you'll probably never see after it's added to the tank?
They tend to be nocturnal and spend about 99% of their time hiding. They will also go after any fish that they catch resting in the rock at night.

had one for about a month,never saw it unless when i woke up to go to work early morning and lights where off. so i trapped it and took it back to my lfs.and they can grow big !.

Well, we already have a long list if hiders in our tank already, so one more's ok.

The one we saw was about 4" long and walked around in the open. Damn beautiful invert too.

I'm more concerned with it getting along with things than its shyness. Anything it would definitely go after? All of our fish are of fairly good size. We have a 2" clown that's the smallest. He sleeps top of tank though. Rarely goes to the bottom at all.

I had a spiny blue lobster at one time.
Although it did not bother any of the fish and corals, I really never saw the sucker on a regular basis (unless you count the occasional floating molted carapace).
He was in the tank for two years and it seemed like he was never there.

Back