Anybody here had experience with live rock from petco

IMO I wouldnt buy dogfood from petco everything that comes from that place is usually diseased, thats my experience in freshwater and alot of people heres salty stuff. I am usually willing to spend a little more to help support your LFS because if you stay close to them they can help and especially in any emergency situation are usually fairly knowledgeable.

My Petcos don't even sell live rock, but I wouldn't buy fish from them, no way. Check it out and see if it looks and smells healthy, then it's up to you.

I don't see a problem with buying live rock from Petco.Porous,light weight with some coralline is what I would look for.Cure it separately from the display if you inhabitants already especially if it smells foul.

I sometimes see live rock in petcos but its usually just two or three small pieces and not great or anything. I dont see why petco live rock would be bad (fish definitely) but they look more like regular rock than live rock.

Overall, i would suggest buying LR, LS and fish from an actual LFS as the petco selection for saltwater is very limited and you might find yourself making better purchase decision at an LFS since you have more to choose from.

Petco's live rock is red died aragocrete and i have never seen anything more than diatoms and hair algae on there rocks not even a spec of coraline. Def not worth it for 5.99/lb

I would buy it locally for 5.99 a lb, thats a pretty good deal IMO. I started my tank paying 8.00 a lb at my LFS... I don't see how live rock could be too bad, petco's usually looks pretty bad though some how. its like the fake volcanic rock you see at land scapeing (sp?) places for gardens and stuff.

I had to re-read the post, i think some ppl think that you were going to get it from petco for 5.99. I think what you meant was that you can go to petco and get it, or get it from a store locally for 5.99/lb. 5.99 is a good deal locally id say, petco here is like 7.99 a lb and it looks like crap.

I had to re-read the post, i think some ppl think that you were going to get it from petco for 5.99. I think what you meant was that you can go to petco and get it, or get it from a store locally for 5.99/lb. 5.99 is a good deal locally id say, petco here is like 7.99 a lb and it looks like crap.

You are correct I started noticimg ppl were misunderstanding me I'm driving to the local LPS right now :^:

I only buy livestock from one Petco that I know who takes care of it and is also a reefer. He told me where they get their Livestock from(saltswater related) and it's from A-Pet. I buy it on tuesdays when it is still floating in a bag.

15 pounds of live rock is what I got that should be good for now ,right? I'll be adding atleast this amount everytime I do add more:bounce:

Sounds good, at least you can get your cycle on the way. Just to be clear I hope you get the rest soon, cause adding 15 lbs of live rock to your tank is going to start a cycle again. And something you should do that I shouldn't have. Dont buy a damsel to cycle! Or ever! Ive got one living in my mantis tank right now that is too elusive for the spearer to kill (aka you dont want to have to catch it to remove it)

As long as you buy cured LR you shouldn't cause a cycle. I've been adding 10 pounds or so every few weeks and haven't had a cycle yet. I just test a few days after I add to be sure.

I think only some of the Petco's have some. From what I saw they are pretty expensive. They looked pretty well established however and had a long snowflake eel in with them.

I think that it all depends on who is running your Petco, I have 3 within driving distance from me and only 2 are worth going to. Sadly the one that is closest to me is the bad one. The other two have people who are very passionate about the hobby and I trust their opinion more than i do the guys at the LFS. So i've been buying rock from them and have had some great results.

petco around me has crappy live rock. but if you can stop by on a regular basis you can find good fish at great places. i went their today and they had a flame angle for $55. lfs $85. all store are good at the right time IMO. just have to know what your looking for.

Back