Anybody here have/had an Angler? Thinking about getting one.

crm

Reefing newb
hey all, I'm looking into getting an angler for my 40g. Just curious to hear from somebody who's had one to see if they enjoyed them. What other fish could I have in there with one of these guys? I know they'll make a snack out of anything smaller than they are...

I haven't had one of these fish before , however from what i know about them , suggests that they would be hard to put in a smaller tank as they might try to eat anything that can fit into its mouth.
Hence you would need to find fish that are larger then it.
40 gallons would mean you could have 4 fish in it , maybe 5 if you had smaller fish.
However you could at most put 3 larger fish in , again anything that it wouldn't think is food.
So i wouldn't put a clown fish in with it for example.

They are usually kept in their own tank or in a much larger tank with big predator fish. They will not co-exist with fish that are small enough to live in a 40.

I had Gus the Sargassum Angler for quite awhile til he eventually got too big and tried (rather successfully) to eat everything. You'll want fish that are at LEAST his size but to be safe I'd try to get ones bigger than him. They're not necessarily an aggressive fish they just eat anything they can. When Gus was little he got bullied by more aggressive fish so be careful who you pick for a roommate. But like biffer says most other fish that would work for a 40 gal will be too small. Best to just stick with a species tank

Back