Anyone can ID these things???

Sxybeemr325

Reefing newb
Here is stuff that i found on my LV. The first 3 pics is something that looks like some type of a mushroom.. ir is beige, and about 1-2 inches long.... ANyonw knows what this could be??? Bad or good thing???

The 2 last pix, hum.. I beleive this might be a feather duster.... There is a super long stem about 3 inches with something that looks like a "flower" at the end... The stem is beige and the "flower" is black & white...

***Also for my algae, I m absolutely loosing it!!!!!!!! I scraped all my glass yesterday night at 9pm. Today at 9 pm, all the glass was green again!!!!!!!!!! it is growing out of control!!!!!!!!!!!!! My live rocks looks all furry with green hair algae.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should i just let go and quit trying to scrape my glass. just let it grow, and let it be until it s gone?!? Even my sand is turning green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What can i buy that will eat this algae? anyting that will eat the algae on my rocks? and on my sand?

Aquariumsara007.jpg

Aquariumsara005.jpg

Aquariumsara004.jpg

Aquariumsara003.jpg

Aquariumsara001.jpg

Even though algae is normal on a new tank you should still fight it, you can start with water changes if your phosphates or nitrates are high. What are your trates and phos at? Algae needs trates and phos to live, you can try and add some macro algae, macro will fight with the bad algae for food and light, if the macro is taken care of it will eventually kill the bad algae off by eating the nitrates and phosphates so the bad cant get it. Sorry I cant help with the ids I cant see the pics too well.

I agree, buying animals to eat the algae won't help much if it's really bad. When my tank was bad, I couldn't find anything that would eat it fast enough. All you can really do is work to get the nitrates and phosphates down. Do you have a phosphate test? I bet it's high.

Where are you getting your water from when you do water changes? Do you use RO water or tap water?

The second thing looks like a feather duster worm. Can't tell about the first, although it may be some type of zoanthid.

Bifferwine,

I do have a phosphate test.. Will do it today,and let you know how it is...I will also test my Nitrates. As for eh water changes, I change 25% EVERY 2 WEEKS. Last water change I made was not the past week end, but the other one before. So next week end, will be due for a water change agan. The water I use is just regular tap water. I can not start to carry RO water from my local lsf to my home! This is impossible for me to do so.... There is not that much room in my car... I have a hard time to fit a salt bucket in there... so imagine about 30 gallons of water!!?? Not happening.. Sorry...lol..
The guy at the lfs said tap water was fine.....

Anyhow, will test the phos an the nitrates. Will let you know what came up. but last time I checked, I m pretty sure phos was at 0, and nitrates pretty low....

And bobby, if i throw another type of algae in there, then I ll be stick with 2 types of algae??? once the green hair algae is gone, how could I get rid of the macro algae??

Bifferwine,

I just tested my phos and nitrates.

Phosphate: 0
Nitrates. 0

Everything is at 0.... But algae is growing like there is no tomorow!!

The thing that i found that looks like a stem with a flower at the end, It retracts insude when something comes by. When i scraped the window, the "flower" disapeared. 2 minuts later, it was out again... Could it be a feather duster? is that what they do??

I'll take more pix of the other thing....

yep feather duster aka tube worm, filter feeder, does well in light to moderate current. Moderate lighting works well will thrive under strip lighting.

You don't need to feed them anything to keep those little featherdusters alive, they just live on the live rock and eat whatever is dissolved in your water.

I think that you may have a bad test kit, from your pictures I'd pretty much guarantee you have high nitrates or phosphates! Your tap water likely contains nitrates and phosphates too, after overfeeding, tap water is the second most common cause of algae problems (so I've read...). So doing water changes won't make a difference if you are just putting water back in that contains them.

Test kits are hit or miss, you wouldn't believe how many of them are just off! I'd take a water sample to your LFS the next time you go over there and have them test it for you.

This is only my :twocents: In my tank I let the algea grow. ( as long as it is not red slime). The only place I keep clean is the front glass. The algea will turn to corlline on glass and all and the green algea will not be able to grow on glass while the coraline algea is there.

Tap water is bad. You can find RO water at supermarket or distiled water might want to look there. I had an amm. problem 2ppm way high Kept doing water changes could not get rid of it. It was the tap water.

Gasman,
The distilled water at the supermarket will cost me an arm and a leg to do water changes!!!! If i had a 10G or even 20Gallon tank, then i would consider... but 90 gallons...... I won t even buy the good source water for myself as I can't lift those huge bottles... i live in a house by myself and i haven't yet found a man to carry it for me..LMAO!!

Bifferwine, i will be going at my lsf tomorow. Will bring a water sample for them to test it. I have 2 nitraes kits. both test at 0. How much water should I bring tomorow night for them to test it?

They don't need a lot, I'd just bring a cup in a baggie or tupperware. Water is expensive, unfortunately. It's a necessary evil though if it turns out your tap water has crap in it.

You might want to think about investing in an RO filter sxy.If I had the room to hook one up id get one.My wifes getting tired of hauling gallon jugs from wally world.

Back