anyone ever do a pvc overflow?

Ted

Living one day at a time
The title says it all. I have been looking at them on utube and think I might try it. Any ideas, suggestions or fool proof plans out there?

The one I looked at, which was on a tank with oscars in it, was just two elbows to get over the side of the tank and down to the sump. Also some tall pice that you primed it with. The only problem I saw was that if you lost power, you would also loose your prime because it would drain down to where one end of the pipe would be out of the water. That is why the comercial overflows have the hang on box. To let the water movment stop before the ends of the U-tube get out of water.

Yup, I have one built not to lose syphon.
ImportedPhotos00029.jpg

ImportedPhotos00030.jpg

Works well and all but other than the fact that it's a little cheaper than making an overflow box with specimen cups or something, it's not really any better and looks kind of silly. But that's an older pic also and it's now got some coralline on it.
The only thing you have to be careful with when you make them is making sure the water resiviors are even (the "U" shapes that sit parallel on the inside and outside) otherwise it'll lose syphon in a power outage.

Cool ok I figured someone had to have done it on here. I dont like the specimen cup collection one. This one looks promising to me I was up after work for several hours researching them. I saw on other forums that people would paint them so they would blend in better. I think I will try this out in the next week or so.I am going to redo my filtration for my main tank. Try to clean it up a bit. I love the hob fuge I have but it is next to the bed and the light is keeping me up :grumble:

I built a test one for my now-defunct 10g....I did multiple trial runs, cutting off water a number of ways, and it would restart without problems. I ended up not using it because I had used cpvc, which was way too small for the pump, and couldn't keep up with the flow. But I know it's possible. Solar's sample is good :)

Well from the research I have done 3/4 pvc will flow 650 gph. so I am thinking a mag 7 pump would work. I think with head loss it should be about right. What I am going to try to do is y off the overflow with a control valve on each side of the y. One will go straight in to the sump the other will feed a algae scrubber. I have to wait until next payday. (friday) then collect all the parts I will need to make the overflow and scrubber. Hopefully order a pump around the same time and get another 10 gallon tank. So maybe by my birthday (march 5) I will have it up and running. I hope to be eliminating the cansister filter and the hob fuge with this. So the tank will look more clean and I wont have a fuge light above my head on keeping me awake at night. I sleep less the 2 feet from this tank and I work weird hours so it seems everytime I lay down to go to sleep a light comes on keeping me awake.

I built one of these overflows yesterday but have not tested it yet because it still has an odor of glue. Anyone know how long it needs to cure before going in the tank?

As long as the glue says for PVC, you are fine. I use mostly clear primer(when I can find it most of the time it is purple and that is just me not liking the look) and clear glue. It works just as good as the other stuff.

I also just let it sit for about 10 minutes or so then put it in.
You could try flushing it with some water to help remove the smell quicker if you like

Very cool thank you. I like the design with the clear tube. Oh nice song also one of my favorites. Welcome the the site by the way

Back