Anyone Ever Hear Of This Practice???

fyretr7

Reefing newb
A guy I met at the local F/S has been doing reef & Fish Only tanks for yrs.I told him that I was fixing to set up my 125 gallon reef tank soon.He told me he has been using sch 40 PVC and heating it and bending it and placing it in his tanks for swim throughs.He said he paints then black and places them at various levels in his live rock.I had heard of people doing something similar in fresh water but never in saltwater.He says as far as configurations you just use ur imagination.Anyone ever hear of someone else doing this?

Never done it but it would work. I always suggest PVC in QT`s for fish to hide in so it would work fine. Now that you suggested it I might give it a chance. Thanks for posting this.

Ya know Mike I thought it possibly may be toxic and break down in water somehow with all the chemicals.Good to know it's not Im thinking I will also .boy is my mind working O/T on shapes lol.................Doyle

+1 on the painting

I wouldnt paint it and if you think about it, all your plumbing is already PVC or some other form of plastic. So it will be fine.

Brian

Yeeh,the PVC will be fine.But I wouldnt paint it either.It'll eventually get covered by the purple plague anyway.

I've used un-painted PVC and hid it under the rocks. It lifts the LR higher and allows flow to get under the rock which is a very good thing. BUT, make sure the LR is stable and drill many holes in the PVC so that inverts cannot get trapped in the pipe.

Back