Anyone ever infect their corals with GFP?

Tristan

Detritus
i just read a magazine article about intentionally infecting your coral with Green Fluorescent Protein to give them a green glow. i read it can also be purple. Has anyone ever tried it?

What makes it cruel? I don't think the process involves injecting chemicals or anything like that.

It would bE cool to try it on myself. Look like the incredible hulk

i reread the article. how they do it is that they make the fluorescent part of a coral touch the broken or fragmented part of another coral. the protein will then spread throughout the coral. something like that.

it's a really good read guys. it's not bad as it sounds. i know i know key word is infect right? lol it's not a disease or anything. no chemicals or other things involved either.

it's a really good read. ill retype the article for you guys in another thread later on. no chemicals or other things involved.

Last edited:
Usually they put the protein coding sequence in the DNA of the coral, so it expresses the GFP and that is how you get glowing corals. or cats or pigs or dogs or fish!

oh. well how it was discovered was that a broken part of a coral fell on another one. soon it started to glow.

i know what you are talking about with the fish. ive seen that stuff. its messed up.

Here a cat with the red fluorescing protein
ncat113.jpeg

And some mice
mice_400x300.jpg

its actually safe for most species from what i hear and a negative reaction to the protein is rare. glow in the dark clowns would be really cool

You can currently buy fish that do glow, the are called GloFish! But they are just boring tetras for now. I have seen some freshwater angels and some other type but they arent available in the US.

Back