Anyone ever use a Phos-Ban Reactor?

fastrd400

It wasn't me!
I have a Phos-ban reactor that I just hooked up. I noticed the water flowing back into the sump was a brown muddy color. Is this normal after initial start up? Or did I do something wrong? I unpluged it thinking maybe something was wrong and thought I better ask before I go any further.

I Love mine. It works. :heartpump.

I bought my Reactor and a bucket of Phos-Ban GFO from petsolutions.com, but now I buy my GFO from BRS which is more cost effective.

It's easy to use, and depending on how high your phosphates are, it could take a couple or GFO changes over 3 months before you realize the full benefits of the product.

Be careful to follow the directions especially when changing the media and priming the reactor into a bucket before letting it flow into your sump. This lets the dust and residue to be removed before entering your tank and harming your system.

If your phosphates are really out of control, and you need to bring it down fast, let me know and I'll post a link to a product that will knock it down quickly.

Looking at your tank photos, I don't see your phosphates out of control.

Hope this helps.

Hi Joel. Yeah, I filled it and turned it on. I noticed the dark water coming out of it, so I shut it back down. So you are saying that I should fill a bucket with clean RO water and run it for a few minites, then place it in the tank?

Hi Joel. Yeah, I filled it and turned it on. I noticed the dark water coming out of it, so I shut it back down. So you are saying that I should fill a bucket with clean RO water and run it for a few minites, then place it in the tank?

What I do is put the reactor back in the sump, connect the inlet line from the pump to the reactor, then run a hose off the outlet stem of the reactor to the bucket, power on the pump, and set the ball value to 1/2 opened, run apx 2 gallons through the reactor into the bucket till the water runs clear. Then, remove the output hose, reattach the smaller output hose and add more r/o water to your sump to make up for the water your flushing down the drain....

Getting GFO in your sump sucks and is bad for the system.

I just changed my GFO media this afternoon, and find I have to read the directions each time, because when I don't, I always forget to do something like placing tape over chamber tube....:frustrat:

You should put the GFO is a container before you put it in the reactor and rinse the dust out of it. That's what you see coming out....rust dust. I put mine in a tupperware container, turn on the sink faucet and let it run till the water is clear.

Also, a few pieces of GFO floating around in your tank will not hurt anything.

I un-pluged the pump for about 20 minutes, got some feed back and then turned it back on. No more dust came out. Adjusted the flow to where the media was just moving like I saw on the video at Bulk Reef Supply. We'll see what happens now. Thanks Joel, and ccCapt. for the in-put.

yeah, I think next time I have to replace I will order from them, maybe the more coarse media. Before I always ran this stuff in a media bag with out any problems. Got the reactor yesterday, so we'll see what happens.

That's what I was looking at last night. It seems like much less dust, and I thought they said it is a longer lasting media.

I un-pluged the pump for about 20 minutes, got some feed back and then turned it back on. No more dust came out. Adjusted the flow to where the media was just moving like I saw on the video at Bulk Reef Supply. We'll see what happens now. Thanks Joel, and ccCapt. for the in-put.

roger that.:1listen:

Back