Anyone ever use a programmable "basic stamp" for aquarium?

Gigaah

Reefing newb
I'm just curious if anyone knows if this has been done. They are fully programmable with 16 inputs/outputs. You can wire in thermocouples, liquid level sensors(neat "etape"), and program it. You need a little electrical aptitude and a very basic programming aptitude.

Just curious if anyone has done it so I could compare whats been done with what I plan on doing..

BASIC Stamp Activity Kit

It has 16 inputs/outputs to take in information from sensors(thermocouple, fluid level sensor) and output signals..turn on/off lights, turn off/of ATO, heater.

You can programming it to turn off lights if temp gets too high and basicly anything else you can dream up... you can turn it on or off in anyway, for any reason based on time, sensors anything else.

Well first off I got the basic stamp free. hehe. I'm very familiar with basic programming and electronics.

I do understand the ease of use with reefkeeper. However 99$ only gets you 4 programable outlets and a temp sensor. I'm looking for something closer to reefkeeper lite plus and a little more. My LED lighting system I'm half done building will have about 100 1w star mounted LEDs warm white, 6k white, 10k white, blue, and actinic. I'd like to dynamicly fad them on and off in progrogression like the sun rising. Fad on the warm white, then the 6k white, then the 10k, then power up the blue, then my actinic. Possibly even fad from left to right simulating the suns travel. Just for kicks. I'm a geek and a saltwater addict..thats how I roll. lol

I'm also very interested in this etape liquid level sensor with no moving parts.
Liquid Level Sensor

Then I have all sorts of plans rolling around in my head about various things I can control exactly how I want to. I'd really like to design an automatic frozen food feeder because I have very different views on how fish should be fed. but thats a different post all together.

Anyway. As you can see I have all sorts of crazy ideas that..however complicated..I am capable of accomplishing with the basic stamp given time.

Thats why even if I had to pay 100$ for the stamp, for me, I'd rather have all the control I could ever want.

I did some programing in Assembly before. On a motorol 68HC11 but that was 8-10 years ago:shock: Never done it in basic. Definantly would look into this to control an LED lighting system.

lol programming this chip is far more easy that anything programmed in assembly. At least basic makes coherent readable sense. and you don't have to fill 5 pages to make one light blink on and off.

Just reading about the eTape sensor, it says for non corosive liquids. I would think that it wouldnt last very long in a salt water environment. Salt water is very corosive.

we actually used this same exact board in my Engineering class I just finished , and got an A in i might add :)

its extremely simple but i think it would be a little tedious to use in this kind of setting. lots of wires and such heading in and out of the breadboard which is so small.

If you are up for the challange I say GO FOR IT haha. it will definitely always be a work in progress and there will always be room for expansion.

Edit: the points others are making are definitely something to consider though.... would it work?

PRC- people actually use this setup to control their houses all the time

The stamp is a toy. I wouldn't trust the well being of my livestock to it.

And what do you think is the brains of a reef keeper light? Something very similar to this. It is the programing and the circuit building that determine the quality of the product.

PRC- people actually use this setup to control their houses all the time

I control houses for a living. Nobody uses these. Like you said, this is a practice board. It's something that you would use in electrical engineering class.

And what do you think is the brains of a reef keeper light? Something very similar to this. It is the programing and the circuit building that determine the quality of the product.

You're right, all electronic circuitry is based on the same foundation. The issue is the quality with which it has been designed. All I'm saying is that these things are toys, they're things to be played with while you're learning electronics. They are not made to last for any long period of time.

If you're controlling some piece of electronic equipment, no big deal. When you're controlling devices that have the well-being of your livestock as well as your home in it, you don't want to use something that will not last.

Not trying to offend anybody, just don't want to see the thread "all my shit is dead"

Last edited:
I have no doubts about the reliability of the device. Its a logic controller just like any other and has serious proven reliability and is used over and over in many applications.

Programming in Basic language is nearly 2nd nature to me so it shouldn't be hard. I've looked over the command table for the Pbasic they use and it doesn't get even remotely difficult until you get into communicating with other integrated circuits. or trying to ouput to an LCD screen...which I'd LOVE to do.

As far as connecting to the breadboard They have pin headers and connectors that will work just like any data plug and if I ever decide "i'm finished" I can etch a circuit board.

Again. not for everyone.

hahaha basic is quite easy, but i wouldnt know how to program what your looking at. I would suggest go for something simple, unless you want a challenge :P

I am sure it would work. By the time its done it will be cheaper to buy the Rkl.Even tho you got the kit free, there are no probes or outlets. Don't see the point in reinventing the wheel here. Time also =$

As an intense "tinkerer" myself, I understand the pure joy you would get simply out of making it work. From the sound of Gigaah's posts he obviously LOVES this stuff. I say go for it - and by all means, post the follow up.

Back