Anyone ever use Brightwell Magnesium powder?

fastrd400

It wasn't me!
My magnesium is low, and I bought this product as recommended by a LFS. I am not used to adding powdered solutions. It made a weird fizzing sound when I added the water to the powder. I put in 3 teaspoons of powder to an 8 ounce glass of water and have not added it to the tank yet, I want to make sure I have not done anything incorrectly as the instructions are not the clearest I've ever read.

Oh well, at least we are on the same team. I have the solution made, just not gonna add it until I feel comfortable doing so.

as long as you mixed it like the bottle says you should be fine to add it. the bulkreef mag that i use makes one gallon at a time very simple to make and for 10 bucks it is a great deal

i ordered the starter package but next time i am going to order the large 2-part kit. for 50 bucks it makes about 8 gallons of alk,cal and about 3 gal of mag

I've used it before,but found that epsom salt will do the same thing with out the cost.:D

Just dissolve 1/2 tsp per gallon of tank size in an 8oz glass of RO water.

I blend 1/3 epsom salt to 2/3 bulk reef supply magnesium, works great! Also for calcium, I use this stuff called Baquacil calcium hardness buffer from the pool supply store. Got 3 gallon-size containers for $11, will last me almost 2 years probably. Says it is 99.9% pure calcium chlorinate. Baked baking soda mixed with RO completes my 3 milk-jug additives. :)

I haven't used Brightwell's Mg supplement....but I have been using Tropic Marin Bio Magnesium with good success. I find it really easy to dose, I just add a measuring spoon full for every 30 gallons and that increases my Mg levels by about 5 ppm. Natural seawater is around 1280-1300 ppm so I check my levels once or twice a week and try to maintain them around that.

Take it back if you haven't used it. I do not like it at all. It does not mix very well and leaves a film/residue when I add it to a new batch of saltwater while being mixed. It does not seem to bring up levels all that well either. I second the Tropic Marin Bio Mag.

Back