Anyone know what these are?

Mjharless

Reefing newb
id1.JPG

Sorry for the poor pix. Tried to grab them handheld. The above tubes are in a small group and look a little like some sort of zoo. You can see one from the side and one head on.

id3.JPG

These are transparent and have feathery arms, but not as fine as a featherduster. They look like little palm fronds.

Thanks.

Thanks for the answer. It looks like you are right about the clove polyps.

Still looking for an educated guess on the others. I updated the pictures so that you can see them better.

The polyps amongst the corallimorphs appear to be palythoa (zoanthids) that are not doing well. Might be the close proximity to the mushrooms causing them grief.

Chuck

These were out of the water for a while so that is probably why they look so bad. I'm suprised anything lived to be honest.

Any ideas on how to best thin out the mushrooms? Exposure to air definitely didn't hurt them. I finished setting up the tank last night and they went crazy today.

well they look like pics to me. :p

really though I think charles is right. It could be that they were out of water. If they dont open in a day or two you could try moving them.

These were out of the water for a while so that is probably why they look so bad. I'm suprised anything lived to be honest.

Any ideas on how to best thin out the mushrooms? Exposure to air definitely didn't hurt them. I finished setting up the tank last night and they went crazy today.

Zoanthids can handle quite long exposure to air as they are frequently found in great numbers on shorelines / shallow areas that expose them to the air and rain at times during low tides.

To remove the mushrooms, you can try scraping them off with a butter knife but if you tear their foot and leave a bit of it behind, a "new" one can spring up from that. Since I can not remove my landscape without a huge effort, I have often used a hypodermic needle on any hitch hiking mushrooms or other unwanted polyps/anemone by injecting them with white vinegar. If used in small amounts, you should not have any concerns about your pH level, but its a good precaution to check it if you are doing more than just a few at a time.

Chuck

Much better pictures!!

The second are clove polyps, and the first ones are mushrooms and palys, like others have said. Those are really pretty mushrooms, btw.

I actually wouldn't try to thin out or kill the mushrooms. Those red mushrooms are much more valuable than the zoanthids on that rock. Red ones like that sell for $10+ EACH at my LFS. And they make the tank look so much fuller and nicer.

Palythoas are just plain old brown button polyps and are cheap and kind boring looking (IMO).

I would leave the mushrooms, hope that the palys can come back, but if they don't, no sweat. But the mushrooms you do have are of a sought after and expensive color morph, so if you got those as hitch hikers, you lucked out royally, as anyone buying that rock in my LFS would likely pay at least $100 just for the mushrooms in the portion of the picture you posted.

Thanks for all the responses. This is a great forum. You guys are very helpful.

Chuck: Thanks for the help. Your website is also very informative.

Bifferwine: I have well over 100(maybe150) of these mushrooms and they are getting bigger every day and popping up in new places. Do lfs ever give credit fo this kind of stuff?

I agree that they make the tank look fuller, but I am concerned that they will damage other corals that I put in the tank. I would like to have as many corals as I can fit in this 29gal tank.

yeah mist LFS' give credit for that stuff so if you get some off you can always trade them in or you can find another local reefer that would be willing to buy them

I would definitely talk to your LFS about trading them in for credit. My LFS gives credit for stuff like that if you bring it in. There are probably lots of local reefers in your area that would buy or trade stuff for them. I understand that they are getting out of control, but selling them is a very good option!

I agree with Biffer. Mushrooms are pretty harm less but, can be pretty prolific. Some people go so far as to remove the rocks and use a wood chisel to remove a little bit of the rock substrate with the mushroom attached and then just glue four or five to each rock about the size of half an orange. Any good LFS store should offer you at least $20 to $25 for each such rock as they will sell them for probably $49.99 for each rock. There is also the possibility that the mushrooms will decide they do not like your tank system or your maintenance practices and quit appearing or reproducing so now is the time to decide what to do with them. Where did you get your live rock where it came loaded with red mushrooms? Most suppliers would not even consider selling live rock with that many mushroom corals growing on them. That is like giving away free money.

Last edited:
BTW (and sorry for splitting the posts): if you have just set up the tank before it cycled this could explain the poor state of the zoanthids. I would wait before adding anything new till the cycling is over (cca 4 weeks).

If the tank has not yet cycled i would check the ammonia twice a day for the first seven days and do a water change if the ammonia gets above 1.0 ppm and replace enough water to drop the level to below 1.0 ppm. If it needs to be brought down .25 ppm it would take: 0.25 x 29 = 7.25 gallons. If it needs to come down .50 ppm it would take: 0.50 x 29 = 14.5 gallons etc.. The mushrooms are worth much more than the cost of the salt mix, and the tank will cycle just fine with no more than a peak ammonia level of 1.0 ppm. If you also have a sump then you must add the water content of the sump to the calculations ie: for lowering ammonia 0.25ppm: 0.25 x (29 + sump contents in gallons) = ?

Last edited:
If the tank has not yet cycled i would check the ammonia twice a day for the first seven days and do a water change if the ammonia gets above 1.0 ppm and replace enough water to drop the level to below 1.0 ppm. If it needs to be brought down .25 ppm it would take: 0.25 x 29 = 7.25 gallons. If it needs to come down .50 ppm it would take: 0.50 x 29 = 14.5 gallons etc.. The mushrooms are worth much more than the cost of the salt mix, and the tank will cycle just fine with no more than a peak ammonia level of 1.0 ppm. If you also have a sump then you must add the water content of the sump to the calculations ie: for lowering ammonia 0.25ppm: 0.25 x (29 + sump contents in gallons) = ?

So about your equasion...
Where do nitrates tend to 'hide' the most often? Back of the tank where there is less flow? Or is everything pretty even. Be as scientific as you like :^::bounce:

I bought this tank from a guy that had neglected it for months. He worked at the lfs but left town and his girlfriend was keeping it. I'm sure he placed the mushrooms etc. He was not around so I didn't get any info about the tank from him.

The tank has not cycled I guess. I'm not sure it will though. I reused a lot of the water(20gallons) and some of the sand(or crushed coral, no one is really sure). Been up 9 days and the lfs tested the water and said it looked great.

No algae blooms yet.

Do you think I should take the mushrooms and run in case the tank cycles? Do you think it will cycle?

Back