Anyone watch the new show TANKED?

felixfish

newbie reefer
I started watching that show TANKED on Animal Planet, and they set up these huge tanks for people, adding 20-50 fish shortly after adding the water !! WTF!? Do you think there is an edit period that is not shown for the lay fish tv show watchers?:shock:

Yeah I wish they would go into the dumps and equipment used, but I can understand people that watch it just want to see fish and large tanks

It seems scripted and those guys are the worst actors ever. Their back and forth conversations and insults seem over rehearsed to me.

It's like watching american chopper only worse, and I seen some where they are in a hurry to add fish (personal experience....that doesn't work) very bad for fish people or to get people into it and I have yet to see any live coral going on...... bad show period.

I downloaded and flipped through them just to see if there was anything technical but it was focused on the reality tv portion and not the hobby portion...

on this note though anyone heard of any shows about the hobby ... or even recommend some nature shows on reefs or saltwater life in general?

I actually watched a few of the episodes last night, and we really don't know how fast they speed things up, how many things don't get covered because the average viewer doesn't care about the backend details (like cycling, quarantining, and acclimating).

I did, however, hear them say that it's important to QT for a month and acclimate. This show's meant to entertain. And believe me...if these people ordering custom tanks and paying tens of thousands of dollars for them, they have professionals being paid to maintain the tank. I am, however, boggled what they do for those projects that only take them 2 weeks from start to finish :shock: Even my hubby, who only vaguely knows about the care of a tank, asked why they didn't cycle (he made me so proud LOL)

Dakwan, I don't think you'll find a "how-to" show.....except on youtube. The average person does not care to watch a show about how-to's, unless it's how to build something. Plus there's only so many episodes you can do on tank maintenance :D As for reef shows, I know a lot of documentaries covered by Discovery are always good to watch, especially in HD.

While 95% of the show stinks, 5% of the show is interesting when they show them actually building the tanks or picking out livestock at the wholesaler.

While I don't agree with how they show their setup's or tell how the tank needs to cycle.It CAN be done.But for 99.9999999% of us,those quick stocking jobs are just too expensive.
We do quite a few of those through the store.But your talking about using completely cured live rock.Sand from an established tank,and a lot of bacterial products.And even then,there is no guarantee the tank still wont cycle.

Well, also you figure that these people getting these tanks are loaded. Their first set of fish die, sadly, but they have money to have it restocked, and eventually the tank will work because it will be properly cycled. And hopefullyy their maintenance people know what they're doing.

Well, also you figure that these people getting these tanks are loaded. Their first set of fish die, sadly, but they have money to have it restocked, and eventually the tank will work because it will be properly cycled. And hopefullyy their maintenance people know what they're doing.

The maintenance is where a lot of it is at. Some of the larger tanks we've set up,we've done daily 50-75% water changes on em until they did complete the cycle.But then figure in the cost of a 90 gallon jug of Oceanic salt daily and it adds up quick.

the last show actualy had live corals but they put flame angels in saying they were compleatly reef safe! im like no freakin way they are totaly reef safe,they set it up with lots of rock and corals,one of the best lookin tanks ive seen,they also show a fuge with macro they also added to the tank,one of the better info related shows

I watched a few episodes and it was good but not enough about the real risks of that kind of business.

Think of all the things you have ever seen go wrong with a tank and then imagine selling and maintaining a tank for a customer --something goes wrong and they want ALL their money back.

Pretty cool interview from Mr.saltwatertanktv with Brett Raymer!

Brett seems like a real jerk. People who say "I've been in the business for 20 years" usually are. That's a horrible way to get people in to the hobby, by showing the general public that they can dump 2000 fish in a brand new tank.

Back