Anyone wih young kids have trouble when a fish dies?

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
I have a 4 year old son who is absolutely devastated that my bluespot jawfish (aka: pebbles) jumped and died.

It has been 3 days and he pleads and begs for him to come back....we tried to explain but he is truly upset.

anyone else have this problem?:frustrat:

I've tried to let my kids know everytime that I put a fish in the tank they might not make it, my kids are 6,7,11 so a little older than your little guy, the only person who's been effected by it is my daughter. (poor girl cant pick a fish to save her life). She's never got real upset. I did lose a chromis.....I replaced him before they noticed. I would just take him to the store and let him pick a fish out..that'll cure it.

What is weird is when the first picasso died...I explained I would be replacing it and all was fine... as some of you know....this took months to find another.

With the BSJ he asked if I was going to be replacing him and I told him I wasn't....that is when the problem started.

I personally it will be fine when I add another fish to distract from the missing jawfish.

Awww. Very sorry to hear bout your little tike and the fish. At least it let's you know he's got a good heart.

Thanks. I honestly would get another....but I just feel after reading sooo many other stories exactly like mine...

I honestly think these guys are best left in the ocean.

My daughter ( 6 years old ) always wants to know WHY something in the tank died,jumped,or whatever.Dont really get to upset.
Just explain to your son that you feel that some fish,including that jawfish should be left in the ocean and the reason you feel that way. He'll understand,trust me.

My daughter ( 6 years old ) always wants to know WHY something in the tank died,jumped,or whatever.Dont really get to upset.
Just explain to your son that you feel that some fish,including that jawfish should be left in the ocean and the reason you feel that way. He'll understand,trust me.

Ill give it a go tomorrow morning. Good advice :)

He'll understand,trust me.
I also have a four year old boy, what we have done is told him b4 fish goes in tank that some fish will get sick, or not make it also. We have pics of all are fish and we look at them. He seems to understand not to broke up about any of them. I alway took the honesty was the best way to explain it.

Back