Anything compatable with a 3spot Damsel?

luvnlife

Reefing newb
My 90 gal. tank is fairly empty now because of a couple Domino Damsels I bought. I'm now down to 1 Domino and 1 Spotted Blenny with a couple cleaner shrimp. I am waiting for this last Domino to die but he's like the energizer bunny - keeps going. Is there anything I could put in my tank fish wise that he will not destroy.

They are one of the most aggressive types of damsels, which is an aggressive family to start with. Very few fish would be safe with him. If you are planning a reef or community tank, your best bet is to catch him and take him back to the store, since there's a good chance he'll attack any new fish that you add, even fish that are smaller than him. I had a blue damsel that would even attack and kill corals that he got too close to. If you want to keep aggressive fish, then he could be kept in a predator or aggressive tank.

Yeah right! Have you ever tried catching a Damsel - Guess I'll just wait for it to "kick it" on it's own. How long do they live? :death:

Build a trap yourself. You can build one out of a 2-liter soda bottle. Cut off the end with the opening and invert it into the other part of the bottle. Put some bait in it, and wait for the damsel to go in. Don't count on it dying -- they will live for years, and they will outlive everything else in your tank through the worst conditions.

Which is why cycling a tank using damsels is always a bad idea.

Really! But that doesn't make sense to my pea brain - can you be a bit more spceific. Doesn't it need holes? Does it need to be one of those bottles with the black bottom on it? I'd like to give it a try!!!

go fishing go to the local fly shop and get the smallest trout fly that you can get and have them take the barb off the hook or you can smash it down then just go fishing you will catch it.

go fishing go to the local fly shop and get the smallest trout fly that you can get and have them take the barb off the hook or you can smash it down then just go fishing you will catch it.

That's too funny! Love the ideas people, keep them coming - something is bound to work!

it will work trust me. my first fish was a dominoe damsel and it was the worst fish i could have bought.

Really! But that doesn't make sense to my pea brain - can you be a bit more spceific. Doesn't it need holes? Does it need to be one of those bottles with the black bottom on it? I'd like to give it a try!!!

Nope, just a regular old soda bottle. No holes are needed. They swim in, and usually can't find their way out. Here is a picture:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/17/20834919_b4f3a3b03d.jpg

Just cut off the end with the opening. Flip it over, and shove it in the bottom part of the bottle (upside down).

Put in a lionfish. He will eat it. then you will have to try to find something to eat him, if you want a community tank. There is always something higher up on the food chain. LOL

I recently trapped my 3 - Spot Damsel and traded him in at the LFS. Mine was an aggressive feeder. Knowing this I took my large fish net and put some frozen mysis in the net. I carefully lowered it into the tank, held onto it and waited. The fish was timid at first - but I could tell it wanted the food. I had to stand still and hold the net for about 20 -25 minutes. Finally it came close enough that I very slowly brought the net up underneath it and scooped it out. It took some patience but got the job done. I wasn't having any problems with my Damsel. I just wanted to change the mix of fish but felt I would have overloaded my tank without one leaving. The Damsel was chosen because it had the potential to get quite large. The LFS had one that was probably 5" long.

They sell traps at petwse.com. These wont hurt the fish. All you have to do is put bait inside the tummel and when the fish goes inside just pull the string attached to the door of the trap. Then you caught him!!
Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Nope, just a regular old soda bottle. No holes are needed. They swim in, and usually can't find their way out. Here is a picture:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/17/20834919_b4f3a3b03d.jpg

Just cut off the end with the opening. Flip it over, and shove it in the bottom part of the bottle (upside down).

great tip! i've never thought to use a drinks bottle. I had to move my tank a few months ago and ended up doing it with the bottom 3 inches of water and all the fish still in, which i think you'll agree is a lot more hassle!

Back