Anyway to make a purple firefish hide less?

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
hi all,

I have a purple firefish that I NEVER see...he comes out 2 times a week to feed but other than that he stays in his den.

I have read that purples are the most shy of the firefish... could I add another one or 2 in the 125 and would that help him be less shy?

Gorgeous fish...love to actually see him.

I have had him for months....and his has been and remains like this.

thoughts?

just read this on Live Aquaria

"It will rarely become aggressive towards other fish, but is territorial, and will fight with its own kind unless they are a mated pair."

There is a trick there.:D
Add one or two more of the purple firefish.Then in a couple of weeks,get a couple of small open water swimmers like the smaller species of anthias.
The trick is to make the firefish feel comfortable enough to come out.If other open swimmers are out,then the firefish assume there are no predators close by.

It sucks, they're great looking fish and everything I've ever read says they need plenty of swimming room as they are active swimmers but, all I've ever seen and heard is they hide constantly and you rarely see them.
Then in a couple of weeks,get a couple of small open water swimmers like the smaller species of anthias.
The trick is to make the firefish feel comfortable enough to come out.If other open swimmers are out,then the firefish assume there are no predators close by.

I've read they're open water swimmers too ... someone on here got a trio of them recently too and hasn't seen them since except for feeding lol

There is a trick there.:D
Add one or two more of the purple firefish.Then in a couple of weeks,get a couple of small open water swimmers like the smaller species of anthias.

Hmm.... maybe just add some anthias after the move gets settled then... I love the purple...but it would suck to add 2 more and have 3 fish I never see. Plus there is a risk they might fight too... The anthias might get the purple going and hey... they are gorgeous fish too :) Good idea.

What other fish do you have in the tank?

Currently.. 1 - Picasso Clown, 1 sixline wrasse, 1 -purple tang (recently added) and the purple firefish

Soon to be....(if my new tank ever shows up) 2 - Picasso Clowns, 1 -sixline wrasse, 1 purple tang, 1 achilles tang, 1 - chevron tang, and the purple firefish.

just read this on Live Aquaria

"It will rarely become aggressive towards other fish, but is territorial, and will fight with its own kind unless they are a mated pair."

Just worried about this...I have been reading this in quiet a few places... thoughts?

it's weird, the different dart fish say different things ... from Live Aquaria, about the zebra dartfish
"Small groups or pairs tend to do better in an aquarium than a single individual, but all need to be introduced to the tank simultaneously and have plenty of swimming room."

Funny i was going to buy a purple one but ended up getting the cheaper red one? He isnt shy at all. His first day was today and he sat out on the reef...then again i only have a mandarian a watchamn and a clown....

Back