Apex aquacontroller

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hey guys I am researching aqua controllers right now As I vacation at least one month a year and travel for work a lot. I do have a few questions at the moment. I am leaning heavily toward Apex and with the price and not needing much more than parameter monitoring for ease of mind right now I am looking at the apex junior. Then I can add as I need. my question at the moment is expandability. I have been told I could buy the jr and expand as much as I want in the future as I need it. Yet I am reading that I can only add 5 aquabus modules

It also says that the outlets are built in circuit breaker protected. Does that mean I don't need To worry about they outlet types I plug it into for water leak protection and what not? I realize this is probably a duh question but it's not something I want to play with. Lol

I JUST got the Apex, and I love it! It has made me a bit paranoid because I can actually see trends in my tank and alarms go off more than they probably should, but I'm very happy with it.

Here's a quick comparison chart so you can see the differences

The biggest reasons I stayed away from the Junior were no ph Probe support already on the system, no Variable Speed/Dimming Port, and it could only expand to 5 modules.

This means that if you want PH and dimming for LED's then you need to spend another $200ish. (And that takes up two of your five ports)

The 5 ports means 5 accessories period. So, If you want to get another power bar, that's one port. Lunar lights, that's another. Ect.

I say it's up to you. The Apex Lite isn't half bad of an option, but if you plan on having dimming lights/variable speed pumps, then I'd go with the full Apex system. But that's just me.

If you want any help programming the system once you get it, let me know. I think i have it all figured out...well, mostly.

But the apex can expand to the full 240 right? Did you get the light or the full model? I will be leaving for 2 weeks in a few months so I may have to go with the light. I do wish there were more probe options though.

You really don't need anything more than those 2 probes. As long as you can see your temp while you are away. Having it on an app on your phone and being able to control it is awesome.

ive been reading about both the apex and the reefkeeper elite(net) and am also at war with myself on what one to get,i noticed that the reefkeeper elite has both temp and ph probe included and at about 150 bucks less then the apex without the ph probe

Fr me its mainly about the Internet connectivity that sets the two apart for me I want it more for the peace of mind when Im on vaca or work has me out on the road for days at a time

ive been reading about both the apex and the reefkeeper elite(net) and am also at war with myself on what one to get,i noticed that the reefkeeper elite has both temp and ph probe included and at about 150 bucks less then the apex without the ph probe

Apex w/ Display Module & Std pH & Temp Probe & EB8 by Neptune Systems - $494.95

ReefKeeper Elite NET System V2 - Digital Aquatics - $427.49

The Reefkeeper Elite (net) is really only $50-70 less than the Apex, and the Apex can do more. The Reefkeeper Elite also does NOT do Sunrise/sunset or storms.

If you look at the Apex Lite it's $419.95 ($369.95 plus $50 for the ph probe).

Last edited:
And it seems you can add more to the apex overall. That plus the Internet connectivity is worth the extra price to me!!!! Besides, if I can't view it while away there's no point to it to me. Also from everything ve read RKE support sucks. Average wait time or a response is at least a week

well looks like i better start saving more lol,i really hope i can fine an apext that has everything i need if im going to spend 500 bucks on this

Yeah! The turning point for me was the Internet connectivity and better customer service. It just sucks because you DO get more with the RKE, but it is also lesser quality. I don't know about you, but AL my probes will be lab grade!!!!!

i dont know if im going to be able to go with the lab grade,500 bucks and i still dont get anything better then standard grade probes kinda hurts the pocket book even more

Back