API Freshwater test kit

badmeowth

Reefing newb
Has anyone tried using the API freshwater test kit on their setups? I had a kit leftover from my freshwater setup in Richmond. I was at Petco yesterday and was about to buy the API saltwater kit, when I thought about using my freshwater kit on my new saltwater setup. I know it sounds absurd, but I just took out my manual and it says that the freshwater kit can test for high range pH and nitrites in both fresh and saltwater aquariums. Needless to say, since my tank is cycling, nitrites was pretty high. I felt lucky so I also tried using the kit to test Ammonia and Nitrate. The ammonia solution turned cloudy, so that one's probably botched. The nitrate solution seemed to work, but that's taking a chance too.Just wondering if anyone uses a freshwater kit, that's all. What I'm planning to do is simply buy the API Reef master test kit, since that one includes a nitrate test solution. I might move from FOWLR to Reef later on, so might as well buy this kit for future planning purposes. As for ammonia, I'll just probably get a standalone test strip / solution, as once the cycle is over, there should be no ammonia anyways.

yeah, just different cards with a little variation in colors for levels. I know ammonia in fresh is bright yellow if 0 and it's a murcky yellowish brown in salt if it's normal. I think you're okay.

Wow thats pretty risky.... I would contact API customer service and ask them. Maybe you could buy the test cards if thats the only difference.

Back