API Test kits?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
I've heard that API test kits can be inaccurate. Is this true?

I like my new API nitrate test kit more than the old one since it has quite a lower reading. :mrgreen: (the other one is old)

In general, the cheaper the test kit, the more inaccurate they can be. I think API test kits strike a good balance between accuracy and cost. You can pay more for better test kits if you want to be more certain about the results.

With my old test kit it says to shake bottle #2. The more I shook it the higher the reading would be. I'm thinking that same thing might happen with the new one. When it says to shake it on the instructions that does that mean that I need to be mixing it like crazy for 5 mins?

It will tell you how long to shake it for -- with some of my test kits it's 30 seconds, with some it's a minute. There's a picture of a clock showing you how long.

I use API for the simpler tests like ammonia, trates and ph.
I have the API calcium test also because it's simpler than some of the other calcium tests but not as accurate. But it's fine to tell me the ballpark. If I need a more accurate test I'll use my elos kit. I really like the elos Alk kit too.

Hrmm, I havent heard of that test kit dennis, might get it and try it. I have red sea test kits atm, moving from the API because I hate the nitrate one with how close all the colors are together.

But I have noticed the Red Sea kits seem to be a whole lot more finicky

Ugh, I though the nitrates were at 5 ppm. They're at 30 ppm... :frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

No. Pretty much looks ok to me. I ran tap water for 10 years. Trates caught up to me, but you have 0. Priority, na. when you get it you get it. I'd definately check the phos though. Hows your CA in your tap? After you add salt to your water changes it may run high.

The only test kits I have are amonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I don't really have a need for anything more, except phosphates. For some reason they don't sell phosphate test kits anywhere locally. I guess I'll buy one online. I didn't know the calcium levels could be too high?

You dont have any corals in the tank so you dont need to worry about high calcium levels, unless you have stuff precipitating out which you dont.

Back