API test results

Dakwan

Reefing newb
I bought the API test kits for PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and just tested for the first time and i'm having a bit of trouble reading the colour... Are there any test kits that are a bit more reasonable?

Also i'm a little concerned with the results

PH is somewhere between 8.2-8.4

Ammonia is definitely zero

Nitrites seem to be at 0.25 which is a bit alarming but the colour of purple is much lighter than shown on the card but definitely not blue which indicates 0. I'm a little unsure on how to take this one.

Nitrates are definitely at 20 ppm which i think is reasonable since there is pretty much zero algae in the tank.

The tank has been set up for several weeks now and if a cycle had occurred while i was moving it i would have thought it would have happened already.

Thats the biggest problem with API kits.Some of those colors are so close together that just a change in the lighting can sway the results.
I'd say your nitrites are zero.But have your LFS double check just to be on the safe side.

Thanks Yote.. which brand of test kits do you recommend?

I tested some fresh salt water i have sitting out and it came up as clearly 0 nitrites.. so now i'm a bit worried... Although if i actually have nitrite it means i did have a mini cycle and the old test kits i threw out were bad as i suspected. And if the fish survived the ammonia and up until now I would hope they are probably going to be fine if indeed i do have .25 ppm nitrite?

I guess i should *almost* thank the previous owner for being such a careless caretaker... he outright told me he killed everything that was delicate :P

I do have a bottle of Seachem Stability "New Tank Stabilization System" which was in the box of goodies/junk that came with the tank. I don't know much about this kind of product other than people consider it a bit overrated.... would it be beneficial to start dosing with this incase it's true i am on the tail end of a mini cycle?

You can try Salifert test kits. They are quite a bit more expensive that API, but they are easy to read and very accurate.

Don't worry about the nitrite itself...it isn't harmful to saltwater inhabitants, but usually when you see any nitrite there is ammonia, which is harmful.

Not to hijack the thread, I think this question is relevant.

I have never taken a sample of my water to my LFS for testing and am curious.
In general, what tests should I expect them to do and how much do they typically charge, if anything. Testing seems to be pretty involved and I could see how a lot of their time could be eaten up doing tests all day. What will they do?

In general, what tests should I expect them to do and how much do they typically charge, if anything. Testing seems to be pretty involved and I could see how a lot of their time could be eaten up doing tests all day. What will they do?

Funny I was just talking to my LFS about this today. Every store around me tests for free. If you just go in and ask them to test your water they'll run the basic 4, but you can ask for more.

Like you I've never had my water tested at the LFS, but today while I was there buying a new glass scraper 3 people came in for full tests.

You can try Salifert test kits. They are quite a bit more expensive that API, but they are easy to read and very accurate.

Don't worry about the nitrite itself...it isn't harmful to saltwater inhabitants, but usually when you see any nitrite there is ammonia, which is harmful.

You are the man Larry!

With us,the price depends on the customer.If we know the customer as a ball buster that never buys,then we'll charge the $1.00 each.For everybody else,the tests are free and we test depending on if its salt or fresh water.
For salt our basic tests are ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,alkalinity,calcium,and salinity.Testing PH is pointless after the water has be in a closed container.
Fresh water get ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate.Alkalinity for tanks with cichlids.

Back