aptasia forest

bri74

Reefing newb
well everyone my aptasia forest is back dammit guess I need another copperband butterfly. What the hell it was gone for about 2-3 months now its back like it was before? Is this gonna be a reoccurring problem? Just gotta but a Copperband every few months?

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but since we're on the topic of aips forest, i was wondering if there are any benefits to having an actual aips forest in the sump. If i would isolate the growth of aips in a separate tank, could aips be used as any kind of filtration?

i added 3 peppermint shrimp to my tank and now they are gone ... i use to see them out at nite but haven't for over a month now ... i think my sally lightfoot ate them :grumble:

Have you tried salt paste, kalk paste or joes juice yet? Peppermint shrimp? Boiling water?

cant get any chemicals like that in ak I have looked at both of the LFS here ya I said both thats all we have in my town. I did put a peppermint in there but he only lasted about 15 seconds with the sea goblin. My main question is how the hell did it come back so thick? The copperband ate it real fast and there was none left. Then he died after there was no aptasia left he wouldnt eat anything else. I kinda thought once he ate it all that it would be over for the stuff but I guess not

Lemmon juice maybe? Needle in the dead center? Take the rock out and put a flame on the aptasia area? Coral putty over the hole where the aptasia retracts? Just some of the things that have worked for me. Putting putty over the holes where the aptasia lived worked the best for me, cause once the stuff dries its hard as a rock and gets covered in coral line within a week. Also I only put a pencil eraser amount so its not noticeable anyways. Im not big on the joes juice or lemon juice, just because I don't like the thought of it being in my system but have definitely heard the joe's juice is the best by far. Never have tried it but heard nothing but good things. Maybe try ordering some.

Last edited:
Basically it came back so thick because whatever you used last time sent out tiny pieces that grew into new nems.

ahh crap. so the liquid is best cause the copperband must have been messy with it. Will try lemon juice right now

Last edited:
Do you have corals Bri? Or is it just fishes? Is it time for a new scape? You could take each rock out and blast all the little nems of with lemon juice or boiling water and then put them right back in.

Kalwasser is easy to find even if your LFS does not stock it. It sells at grocery stores as pickling lime. Just put a teaspoon in a liitle cup or bowl and add a drop of water and stir to a paste. Wear a glove to put a dab where each nem has its hole. Or make it a little thinner and use a syringe instead of yoyr finger. The pH of the paste will be 14 so it will burn you as it has the same "Basic" pH as draino drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide) as it is calcium hydroxide.

Ryan it is fish only tank no corals. Great advice everyone thanks alot. I believe that I need a solution that I can fill up a 5 gal bucket so I can dip then rinse each piece one at a time. the big ones I will just have to do by hand. So I may go with the salt water thing. Unless the pickling lime is concentrated enough to mix in a 5 gal bucket.

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but since we're on the topic of aips forest, i was wondering if there are any benefits to having an actual aips forest in the sump. If i would isolate the growth of aips in a separate tank, could aips be used as any kind of filtration?

Aiptasia are great for nutrient export and very effective if used in the sump. I've seen setups where there's an aiptasia farm in the sump, then a UV sterilizer just downstream from that, so that no aiptasia gets into the main tank. The refugium is on a separate line so that pods can get through.

Pickling lime and salt paste are easier to use than lemon juice. I've tried injecting them, but the problem is they retract into the rocks and it's so hard to get a needle into them.

I'm battling the stuff now myself. I got "Stop Aptasia" and tried using a hypodermic needle (0.5 mm width). The needle clogged and when I pushed the plunger the needle shot off and stabbed me in the knuckle. Just finished a week of antibiotics. I injected the aptasia last night, I'll let you all know what happens.

The type I have is very small, clear to translucent tubes.

Aiptasia are great for nutrient export and very effective if used in the sump. I've seen setups where there's an aiptasia farm in the sump, then a UV sterilizer just downstream from that, so that no aiptasia gets into the main tank. The refugium is on a separate line so that pods can get through.

Thanks Biff, that's exactly what i had in mind.

You rock!

Back