Aptasia glue?

Banana Man

Reefing newb
I'm trying to deal with some Aptasia in my new tank. I got the chemical stuff that you inject into the Aptasia but they always retreat into the rock before I can get the needle inside them. I was thinking I could just cover the hole they live in with reef safe glue. Does anyone know if this strategy will work?

Thanks!

If you can pull the live rock out and glue it, this would work. Gluing in the tank will make the glue setup at the nozzle, not allowing glue to be spread out. I would suggest if it's bad enough to introduce a natural predator.

I'm trying to deal with some Aptasia in my new tank. I got the chemical stuff that you inject into the Aptasia but they always retreat into the rock before I can get the needle inside them. I was thinking I could just cover the hole they live in with reef safe glue. Does anyone know if this strategy will work?

Thanks!
I dont think you actualy have to inject the aptasia. You only have to cover the oral disc. Move very slowly and let the solution trikle out of the syringe onto the disc. The aptasia will usually kind of wrap its tenticles around the syringe tip and kind of suck the stuff in { with a little help } I have had minor aptasia infections twice. I used aptasia X by Reed Sea. Thats how I got rid of mine. You have to go slow though. They are easy to spook and if they feel they are in danger they spit out all their babies and the problem gets WORSE. You have to kind of feed it to them. They suck it in and then it glues them up inside and they kind of swell up and explode{ no babies}. Expect to do more then one treatment. Kill some, new ones show up. Takes a while.

I have the Aptasia X. Unfortunately in my failed attempts to kill one the first time I saw it release all it's babies so I'm worried when they all start turning up.

I also put in a Peppermint Shrimp but that just hid under a rock for a week until I came down one morning to see my 2 cleaner Shrimp eating him!

I might give the Aptasia X one more go and if that doesn't work out I'll try the glue.

Just watched a video about the Aptasia X online. I think my problem is that my Aptasia are very small at the moment. I can't get anywhere near them before the retreat into the rock

UV sterilizer will help with the larva floating around . Make sure it big enough though and you have to watch the water temp Then just keep pecking away at the aptasia. Its going to take time. Putting planctonic food in when you try helps too. They all come out to feed. If you dont care about the rock, you can always sterilize it. It took me a couple months to clean up my problem both times. QT any new rock you buy to make sure there is none on it. Any one that says a marine tank is calm and relaxing is FULL OF SHIT. It can be extremely frustrating.Thats why i like it. Its a challange and you are always learning new things.

I wouldn't get that far. Testing and double redundant systems prevent that. Please feel free to check out my tank. If you stress out on your tank, how does it react? Stressing results in poor judgment and crashing a tank. Slow and smooth, smooth is..... fast.

Sorry for your loss, I imagine it's expensive.

First tank got killed by a heat wave while i was gone away for 3 days. 55 gallons of fish soup. Second tank- I was using town water because it is vertually phosphate free. Town shocked the system, Didn't send out notices to inform. Wasn't clorine. Was something they were using to clean the pipes. Not harmful according to them. Couldn't smell it. Did a water change Killed everything. Have RO unit now. Had a bad case of cyno. Used chemclean and killed every crab I had. Got a 6" fireworm in there. He ate well before I figured that out. Steep learning curve for me to get where i am now. When i went to the really big tank everything seamed to settle down and i haven" had problems to speak of in about a yr. keep my fingers crossed, do a lot of research before anything goes in there and I keep a journal. Only cost me a million dollars for this education. You- my friend sound a little bit condesending. Nobody is perfect. I know I'm sure not. We all make mistakes. You included. You just arn't telling us them.

Last edited:
CrazyGlue gel works fine for just a very few. When they retreat just stick the nozzle in or around the hole and start globbing it out of the tube. A little squishing and wiggling while globbing will make it stick. Shortly, after it covers with purple you will not have anything but Aiptasia Memories!

Worked in 2 tanks of my own and several I have stuck for friends!

Honestly I've never had a problem. Fish dying from ick is about it. I got answers here on how to prevent it and read others who post on it.
I've over paid for corals before but now they buy frags from me....road goes both ways. I purchased my tank not rr and kicking myself for that. I am not being a schmuck, just don't see the stress in a hobby. It is fun to get stung or bit by something in the tank telling me they are the higher power. Fish eating out of my hand is stress free. Building a reef to the way I see the ocean is been the most relaxing things I've done. My tank is now completely stocked and now making me money. I can't think of anything better than getting paid to do my hobby. Cheers to you and you passion

Here....let me quote you one of my favorite songs....it goes like this.....

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's singing Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbayah

Someone's laughing, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's crying, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's praying, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's sleeping, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Here....let me quote you one of my favorite songs....it goes like this.....

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbayah

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

someboby has too much time on their hands. Kumbya. Boy I would love to be able to do my fish thing and get paid for it. I am to isolated though. No airservice. Mail only comes in 3 times a week. And I am the only one in a town of 1000 that keeps a saltwater tank.

Back