Aptasia problem

sailsup

Reefing newb
Hey everyone, just got back from a two week dive trip to Jamaca.
Aptasia is starting to propagate rapidly in my 29 gal HQI bio cube. Any thoughts on how to get them under control? I was thinking of purchasing a blue laser, but do not know if that will work thru the acrylic. :frustrat:

I should add that it takes a lot longer to kill an aiptasia with a laser than aiptasia x. I use the S3 Spyder III Arctic, 1W which is the strongest one they sell. Be careful it will obliterate your corals.

When I see Aiptasias I inject Tropic Marin Elimi-Aiptas directly into
the stalk near the base of the anemone instead near the
mouth/tentacles. I find that I get a much better kill rate that way.

I tried Aptasia X and boiling lemon juice as well, but they would allways come back. I ended up getting a Perppermint Shrimp and it took care of the issue with the quickness and my tank has been Aptasia free since.

I have gotten some small aiptasia as hitch hikers here and there. My two peppermints have wiped them out with a quickness. They also nip at my xenia though, the little turds.

I've been battling a Aipstasia problem for a while now, my overflows are full of the damn things, and they're all over the place on the rocks in my tank. Is Aipstaisa X really the best solution for them? It seems like for every one of these things I'm able to kill with Aipstaisa X two more of them appear the next morning.

I can use a whole bottle of the stuff and I still have aipstaisa that hasn't been treated

I've been battling a Aipstasia problem for a while now, my overflows are full of the damn things, and they're all over the place on the rocks in my tank. Is Aipstaisa X really the best solution for them? It seems like for every one of these things I'm able to kill with Aipstaisa X two more of them appear the next morning.

I can use a whole bottle of the stuff and I still have aipstaisa that hasn't been treated

That was happening to me as well. I would get one with the juice then it would come back or another one would pop up. The new ones were to small to juice or in a place where I couldnt get a good shot at it. Get yourself a peppermint shrimp and let it graze on the suckers till they are all gone. Or get a coulple of them just to make sure.

If you are going to go with peppermint shrimp, be sure to get a bunch (like half a dozen or so). There's only a 50/50 shot that they will eat them, so getting more ups your chances.

a few years ago i bought several hundred pounds of live rock covered in aptasia. beleive it or not this is how i killed it. i would boil water and put the boiling water in a syringe and inject it right into the base of the aptasia. it is one shot one kill. and quite gratifying.

another solution is to but a berghia nudibranch. these slugs whole purpose in life is to eat aptasia. once the aptasia is gone they die of starvation.

if u can single em out. i put lemon juice in a shot glass and microwave for 20 secconds and inject it above the mouth of the aptasia.....otherwise i would just use aiptaisa x. its a sure shot.

Back