Aptasia?

Tim

Reefing newb
Wasent sure where to post this. I have a new growth in my tank, but its not algae. Looking around online the best description I can find for it is Aiptasia, or commonly called glass anemone. Its a furry little clear/brown looking thing that retracts as fast as lightning. Was wondering if anyone has had a problem with these and what they did to deal with them. Any suggestions would be great.

Well, I kindof thought that at first, and it still may be. I bought the tank used and it came with about 20 lbs, of live rock. The person i got it from told me he's never had anything in it but a few damsels. Its way to small for me to get a pic of. Do feather dusters retract in the blink of an eye like that?

berghia.jpg

Looks like that? Not the white nudibranch, but the things in the back ground.

If it is, then you can try peppermint shrimp. Get at least 3 since they are hit or miss. Or you can try Apstasia X or Joe's Juice. Both products that do work. Especially when you just have one or two.

Yes, it looks very close to that, its tucked way up in a crevace in my rock. Is it something I really need to be concerned about? Theres only a few hermits and a damsel in the tank as its only a few months old. Just wondering if its harmless or if its something I need to eliminate right away.

It can sting other corals, and can quickly over take a tank. I say get rid of it when there are just a few, and not to wait until there are hundreds.

thats aptasia big guy, from what i hear if you boil lemon juice and inject it into the base of the anemone it will die, or superglue over it when it closes

Well, I've got 3 pep shrimp on the way, I want to try that route first. If they dont do the trick then I'll resort to chemicals. I'll post my results once they get here and have a chance to get settled in....Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions:)

Just wanted to follow up, Just 3 days and 3 pep shrimp later and I have no more signs of the Aiptasia. Just wanted to post the results and thank everyone for the great advice.

Is most everyone in agreement that Aptasia X is the best way to kill it ? I don't have much - but it has to go . Thanks guys and dolls

Is most everyone in agreement that Aptasia X is the best way to kill it ? I don't have much - but it has to go . Thanks guys and dolls

It is a sure way to get rid of them. Things like Peppermint Shrimp, Copperband Butterflies, and nudibranches are hit or miss as to whether they will actually eat the aipstaisa.

I will tell you this, whatever route you go, do not ignore these things. I have ignored them, and now they have completely taken my tank over, and have started stinging some of my coral

Back