Aqua Remora C - BIG PIECE OF S!#T

jb61264

Reefing newb
Oh My God!...in the last 24 hours this piece of shit Aqua Remora C has sucked pure water out of my tank and even though I have an overflow fitting running into a 2L bottle I have had standing water in my "WOOD" stand...holy "F"!!!!! I am besides myself...it is absolutely ridiculous that this product pulls that much "WATER" into its collection cup....I have adjusted twice to higher levels and I wake up this morning to the same freaking thing.

Now my stand is probably completely f'ed up because it has had water on it! I am so pissed I will be calling this f'ing joke of a company that makes these pieces of crap to tell them they can come over and replace my stand for me!...or maybe I'll just take a sledge hammer to this piece of junk and send it to them...that's what this product deserves!...a big sledge hammer splitting it in half.

NO PRODUCT should pull straight water like this into the collection cup and run out of my tank...IT WASN'T EVEN FOAM!!!!

Now I have no idea if I should even continue with having my next batch of live rock sent this week...my stand is just something I got from Petco and although I've been taking a hair dryer to it ALL morning, the integrity of its strength has certainly been compromised thanks to this piece of crap protein skimmer...no wait, its not a protein skimmer...all it does is pull straight freaking water from the tank and spill it into the overflow...what a joke...I am so mad

message Biff. she talk very highly on those skimmers. she would know how to set the water level. i think you have to make very small adjustments every hour untill its broken in.

Sorry for what you're going through Jb.If it makes you feel any better,I think we all had a flood at one time or another.IMAO.all skimmers have the potential to flood.

You don't need to make adjustments to the Remora. Just put it at the highest setting and leave it. It takes skimmers several weeks to break in. All skimmers. Have you used any tap water conditioner, medication like slime coat or aloe? All of those things will make the skimmer go berserk and pull water like crazy. That's why you can't use treated tap water if you have a skimmer.

You don't need to make adjustments to the Remora. Just put it at the highest setting and leave it. It takes skimmers several weeks to break in. All skimmers. Have you used any tap water conditioner, medication like slime coat or aloe? All of those things will make the skimmer go berserk and pull water like crazy. That's why you can't use treated tap water if you have a skimmer.
I read through Aqua C's instruction sheet and there is not one word in there about starting the Remora at the highest setting and especially no mention that it could start pulling gallons of pure water out of your system all the sudden. I completely understand that a skimmer takes some time to "break in" but having a skimmer do what this thing did is just plain ridiculous.

It's okay, this will be the first of many floods :) Not necessarily due to the skimmer though. It's kinda par for the course for this hobby.

Last edited:
before I say anything can you tell us how long did you have the skimmer running? and just what THE BIFF said, what kind of water were you using? It plays a great part on it. By judging at your SIG, you shouold have know how a skimmer works seven if you just used it for the first time, so I'm kinda in doubt about your experience in the hooby. 4 years and..........

never had flood problems with a remora either i had regular and pro, like biff said water additives will make it go nuts, if you using ro/di water than there is no reason for additives if not use seachem prime it won't make skimmer go nuts atleast not for me. Yes better to start at higher setting and work your way down every couple of days.

before I say anything can you tell us how long did you have the skimmer running? and just what THE BIFF said, what kind of water were you using? It plays a great part on it. By judging at your SIG, you shouold have know how a skimmer works seven if you just used it for the first time, so I'm kinda in doubt about your experience in the hooby. 4 years and..........
Sorry for your doubt of my experience in the hobby kimoy...about 14 years ago I had a beautiful 30 gallon (breeder style) reef setup for about 4 years...had to get out of the hobby for personal reasons and now I'm back...a little bit has changed but not the basics. I know how skimmers work, have built my own (which I'm considering doing again because the one I built back then sure works better than this thing)...so while I'm relatively new "again" to the hobby, I have experience and am definately not new to it.

It's okay, this will be the first of many floods :) Not necessarily due to the skimmer though. It's kinda par for the course for this hobby.
Yeah...I hear ya :) I have written Aqua C and told them they need to modify their instruction sheet to say just what you said and what I have discovered...you must start at the highest possible setting and work your way down to get the best skimmate.

My contention still is that it is ridiculous that a product should pull the straight water like this did (even at the lower settings)...just poor design to have something do that in my opinion...I mean, what if someone didn't have a drain fitting on their cup like I did...they'd have a big wet spot on their carpet behind their tank or worse yet, electrical short because the thing overflowed out of the cup.

Sorry for your doubt of my experience in the hobby kimoy...about 14 years ago I had a beautiful 30 gallon (breeder style) reef setup for about 4 years...had to get out of the hobby for personal reasons and now I'm back...a little bit has changed but not the basics. I know how skimmers work, have built my own (which I'm considering doing again because the one I built back then sure works better than this thing)...so while I'm relatively new "again" to the hobby, I have experience and am definately not new to it.

that explains everything. welcome back to this fascinating hobby.

about your skimmer, what pump are you using? might be too strong for the skimmer.

that explains everything. welcome back to this fascinating hobby. about your skimmer, what pump are you using? might be too strong for the skimmer.
very happy to be back to the hobby (minus the skimmer problems last night)...the pump is a Maxi-Jet 1200 (one of the pumps offered standard with the Remora)

Sorry you are having a hard time, but if you go by user opinions, next to the Deltec MCE600, the Aqua-C is the best HOB skimmer on the market. Mine went crazy at first too, but I started it up at supper time, and noticed half full by bedtime. I emptied it and set it up high. Emptied again in the morning and set higher. Within a week, it was pulling out 1/2 cup of pure crap every couple days.......

I have never had a problem with my AquaC Remora, however I just have it HOB style. My question though is what is this talk about highest setting? There are settings? Do you mean the rubber thing around the cup? Mine is about 3/4 of the way up the cup because that is the way the cup sits in the skimmer and it makes the least amount of noise that way.

the rubber o-ring is how you set it. Set it lower down, so the cup sits higher, and you get drier skinmate. Set it higher up so the cup sits lower, and you get a more wet skinmate. I have mine set about 3/4" from the bottom, and I get about a cup of dark green water once a week. Is this good? I have no freakin idea......lol

Mine was getting a good half cup per day when my tank was cycling. Now it seems it is more like Melonbob's and will take almost a week to fill.

Don't get discouraged. I have a super skimmer in my sump and after 2 floods of my upstairs bedroom where my tank is I modified my reservoir (which is a 2 liter bottle) and put a piece of tubing in it at the top, so that is it gets completely full it will run back into the sump (worst case scenario) the tank doesnt dry up and flood my floor. It would have flooded my floor this weekend while i was gone, but i came home to it overflowing into my tank again... better than using a shop vac to suck water out of my carpet!

Back