aqua traders

theres is a bunch of info on the net about this skimmer and mesh mods for it. Kind of 50/50 on peoples thoughts on it. However you are a hands on type of guy I am sure you can mod it and get great results. This is the same company I got my light and hob fuge from and I have been pleased with there products so far. Do a google on it you will get alot of information on how to mod it. check this one out
odyssea PS 160 protein skimmer w/ Mesh Mod - Saltcity Reef Forums

look at this one guys opion of it Odyssea PS 160 protein skimmer w/ Mesh Mod:

It’s been a 60 Hours since I fine tuned the Odyssea and look at is now! Its doing better than my AquaC EV-180 ($393.00) Figures
tard.gif
thats from saltcity reef forum.

well, yea you know me, if i can get to it i can mess with it... ok, well that would be cheaper than an octopus, but i dont wanna be buying some junk i'm not gonna be happy with...

I just got a fixture for there. Its going back. Junk. I got the 48" T5 pro fixture. Upon arrival all 4 bulbs were smashed everywhere. I finally got them to send new ones. One of the new ones had smashed pins. The end caps/sockets in the fixture were all loose. Then when I got them in place and went to insert the bulbs I couldn't get the "little circle thing" to turn to lock the end pins in place. I was afraid I was going to break the bulbs. I had to get a pair of scissors and use the point to help them to turn.

My fixture came with built in automatic timer. It's junk. It won't keep track of my set times and always resets itself to "00:00". Then one of the fans crapped out.

More on the light setup. The timer and bulb layout design are crap. The fixture I was sent required you to place the daylights in slots 1&2. Then actinics in 3&4. So the back of your tank would be blue instead of spacing them out. So using this setup and the timers, it wouldn't allow for you to run only daylights or only actinics.

My suggestion is don't even open it and write return to sender on it. I've had my fixture for less than 2 weeks and it was only running for a few days due to broken bulbs. I just went and picked up a used nova extreme from a local reefer. I just need to somehow swap the fun out for a new/quieter one.

The girl who answers the phone is Asian. Nothing against asians but at least have someone talk to me on the phone who I can understand.

hmm that is very interesting. I have bought several items from them and I have had no problems with them at all. Sorry you had bad luck. Guess I have been lucky with them so far. Thank god I wont have to buy any more hardware for a while.

so, today is the day, i got permission last night to order my skimmer, WOOHOO.. so, do i go with these guys or not?

the other question i had was where is ndepratt? wasnt he selling equipment? havent seen him in like a month...

i'm only gonna get one shot to buy my skimmer, so i have to make this one count, a little home mods are fine, but i just need to know that whatever i'm gonna put my $$ into is gonna work, and last...

that $30 or even the $60 is in my price range, but if i have to i can go up to 200, just means i dont get some other things i was wanting(powerheads and things)

Last edited:
I wouldn't but that skimmer. Buy an Octopus. What size tank are you setting up? 75? In sump or hang on. Look around there are good deals on either used or new ones.

75g DT, 29 gal sump, 12+ external sump.

people have been telling me to get the octo, but i thought that if i could get one of these and save a few bucks that would be cool, but if its not worth it, then i wont.. just soo tempting to wanna try it tho... and with all i have read, the mods to make it work are easy and cheap.

just got my t5's and over flow box from them and i gotta say it's even better than i thought the t5's fired right up they have leds and it's also got a timer whitch were not advertised a plus and the overflow is right on point i gotta say i will order from them again 4 everyone out there it's very cheap!!

Gosh. For every bad review there's a good review. Sounds like a crap shoot. I'm glad I don't have to make a decision on whether or not to order from them. I hope you have success project5k.

Well i still dont have a vote either way... i went with my LFS, that way if i have a problem there is someone i can go and "speak" with face to face, but, Jason has never led me astray yet, so i trust him. octopus all the way!

I'm glad to hear your having good luck with them, makes me feel better about some other things i've thought about ordering

Back